Reply To: Hello all

DeeAnn Hopings
AMBASSADOR

While some therapists do specialize in working with trans patients, perhaps every therapist may not feel that way even though they do have experience. However, I take it as a very good sign that she is willing to learn. Not everyone would be willing to do that.

The origin of the point I was making about impatience has to do with my experiences on another forum. Younger folks often felt like they needed to understand everything NOW. Clearly that is not a good strategy. From my own experience, while we can have an understanding of things, we’re talking about potentially life altering decisions that need to get internalized. It takes time to get used to a very different way of looking at ourselves and thinking about ourselves because it goes against all of the expectations that the world has had for us. Conditioning is a powerful force and won’t relax easily.

As something to think about, every trans person does not have affirmation surgeries. I think that is what the general populace thinks, but I believe it is somewhere around only 30%. There are various reasons for this. If you don’t have insurance coverage, many do not have the means to afford the surgeries. Some people are poor medical risks for significant surgeries. Some cannot be away from their jobs for the 6 weeks that is needed for recovery. Same also applies if you are a caregiver for someone and you cannot find a temporary replacement. And finally, some just do not want to sign up for fairly invasive surgeries.

Personally, I am not doing HRT and have no plans for surgery. Your Milage May Vary!

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?