Reply To: When Is It to Late to Start HRT

Emily Alt
UNITY

I’ve lost count of the times I’ve seen this question asked in various forums. There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there regarding transition.

TLDR: Age isn’t a barrier to starting HRT. Your health could be. You’re never too old.

I’m 62 and in pretty good health. My endocrinologist is one of the best trans docs on the West Coast. I started HRT almost 3 months ago. I’m doing Estradiol Valerate (monotherapy) injections every 3.5 days. It works. At some point I’ll add Progesterone to increase breast fullness and size. I think a C cup is within reach even at my age.

My moodiness and clarity of thought started to improve after just a few days. Dysphoria and angst disappeared within a couple of weeks. Overall, my head is in a much better place.

I also noticed some breast tenderness and sensitivity after a few days. That’s come and gone since I started, but has become stronger and more persistent in the last 2 weeks. I have breast buds and can definitely see a bit of growth. Tanner 2. Not enough to be noticeable in public….yet.

When you get older it takes longer for estrogen to reverse the masculinizing effects of testosterone. Generally, changes will take longer and be less pronounced than someone that’s a lot younger, but there will be changes. And there are some stunning exceptions. I know of older girls that progressed rapidly and developed an impressive feminine appearance. Everyone is different. For those of us that aren’t satisfied with their results, there’s surgery.

I’ve never heard of anyone, regardless of age, where HRT did nothing.

I would offer that you have a talk with your doctor.

Emily

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?