Reply To: When you look in the mirror…

Hi Alexis,

I can completely understand and empathize with your feeling. I too have more recently begun to accept the true self, and am starting to look at some “baby steps” as you call them towards what I call the “complete self.” This is something I have struggled with for a very long time.

My journey with this went from “its just a phase…” to “oh, its only a fetish…” to “I am gender fluid…” to now “I am trans female.” I believe for me the journey — stretched out over my 50 years — was my way of coping. I could not accept or handle it in younger days. So I invented an excuse. Easy to see that now in hindsight. Others won’t have the experience I had — they may have arrived at a different place earlier. Others still are far, far stronger and tougher than I am.

As I began coming to grips and accepting my so-called “authentic self” a bit more, I too felt different about how I saw myself in the mirror. Interestingly at first, I could not see it at all. I was either seeing a man if not presenting, or seeing a man presenting as a woman. As my skills got better over the years and I learned more about how to present myself, the shift to seeing a woman became more evident when I presented (this even though I don’t believe I can “pass.”) More recently, I am seeing the “woman” even when not presenting in female garments, wig, makeup. I see her now — always there. Omnipresent.

This now matches more how I feel inside. I have often said to myself the feeling of me being femme came and went. I believe for me — my experience — that was more excuse making and denial. The desire to be a woman is not a desire to be a woman, if I accept that I am a woman, regardless of how I was biologically born. So the feeling is omnipresent and I accept that, and now see it more in the mirror.

I recently joined a local support group as well and am learning so much. It has been so helpful to start meeting others sharing their journey and while different then mine — there are similarities which help me understand myself far more. I believe I will continue to evolve. I try not to get hung up on the “what ifs” the way I once did. Each of our paths will be different, and I sense they are not necessarily linear. I hope that you continue to find your path and find happiness as you travel on it.

Andrea

©2022 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa | Affiliate

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you don't see the captcha above please disable ad and tracking blockers and reload the page.