Reply To: Childhood signs

I think the signs were there for me — some I recognized, but dismissed, others may have been more subtle that I outright missed, but looking back at it, might have been a sign.

In my case I started presenting in private and experimenting in private beginning at 13 — so I did go into it fairly early, but I dismissed it as me being trans. At that point “trans” was not even a thing (we are talking 1980s here) and it was just not on my radar. I felt like I must be the only “boy” on earth looking to try on his sisters things, or have the feeling constantly repeating inside of me — “what does being a girl feel like.”

I think for some, and certainly in my case, I created excuses and lived in denial for a very long time. I am 50 now, and I am only now really considering myself transgender and saying out loud not that I want to feel like a woman but rather “I am a woman.” I dismissed it even while engaging in it as first a “phase” then a “fetish.”

Subtle signs that were missed (perhaps missed on purpose) I wanted to spend time with my sister and her friends more than I think was reasonable when I was really young (5-10 years old). During that time I also found it difficult to spend time with boys. I never felt like I fit in. They were more rough and tumble and I was far more demure. The earliest sign I missed — which was years before I ever began experimenting was when I was spending some time with male friends, and they said “lets play football.” I had zero interest. I just walked home after a bit, and I distinctly remember using the following statement, ” …why don’t I like to play football? Am I a sissy or something… maybe i am…” I know “sissy” is an improper term and apologies to those who take offense. The point is, for a 7 year old that was the only term I had in 1978, and it was the depth of my comprehension. I did not understand it other than the vision in my mind — i think for the first time was a very basic idea that “I am a girl.”

I am sure many other signs were missed — and it is both unfortunate and perhaps what is just and right for me. Clearly I could not cope with what I felt and my mind invented ways for me to cope. Now, things are vastly different. Where does it end up — not sure. But the journey is what it is.

1 user thanked author for this post.

©2022 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa | Affiliate

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you don't see the captcha above please disable ad and tracking blockers and reload the page.