Reply To: Transitioning while working

I work for a very supportive company (3M) in a very accepting state (Minnesota). I knew long before I came out that I would have corporate support. Individuals might be another matter, but more later. We already had documented transition guidelines, both for the employees and for management. I knew a number of women that had already transitioned in their role, and all were happy with the process (though a common belief was that you would likely not see any more promotions – a belief that has been disproven).

For myself, I had already started electrolysis and HRT. I had been living as a woman in various capacities for a while. Working from home 100% made the need to come out at work a non-issue, or so I thought. As I came out to more friends and family, I realized how much not coming out at work was impacting me. So I arranged a meeting with my manager. After I told him his first words were “So, how can I help?” It was a very common sentiment. When I came out to my VP he let out a sigh and said something to the effect (Is that all? I was worried that you were going to tell me you were retiring.” And for the most part everyone has been massively supportive. There were a few folks that seemed to cut my coming-out call with them short, but no actual issues from anyone. I spoke with over 100 of my co-workers (working there for nearly 30 years at the time, you get to know a few folks). When the day came to make it official, it was up to me. I wrote the email, had collected the distribution lists, and sent it out. And the congratulations and positive messages started coming in almost immediately.

Oh, a college professor friend of mine (from a different, more red, state) had the same experience as I did with my VP – “Is that all? I thought you were going to retire.” type response. She has been very happy since she came out.

I wish you all the best.

4 users thanked author for this post.

©2022 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa | Affiliate

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you don't see the captcha above please disable ad and tracking blockers and reload the page.