Reply To: Soliciting Personal Information

No doubt there are safety issues, but it’s a bit more complicated than that.  I’m an Economist, but I won’t get too “wonky” :).  There’s this concept known as “consumer surplus”, which is essentially the difference between someone’s willingness to pay and the market price.  For example, if you see a dress for which you’d be willing to pay $50, but the price is $40 that’s 10 extra bucks for you, and consequently you have a consumer surplus of $10.  (Note that producer surplus, which is the difference between the price at which a producer would be willing to provide a good and the market price, also exists.)

It;s no secret that producers would like to “appropriate” consumer surplus for themselves, if possible, and the collecting of personal information by “tracking” may enable them to do so.

I also suspect that “tracking” enables a producer to charge a “special price” 🙂 to someone who is e.g. Black, or gay, or trans.

Unfortunately there is so much public information out there that makes it easier for a producer to accomplish this.  For example, a credit report has the category “other names used”.  If “Jane Jones” was previously “John Jones”, a bank/landlord/employer would know that there’s a good chance she’s trans.  Similarly, if “Jane Jones” was previously “Jane Smith” and “Jane Carpenter”  it’s a good bet that this is her second marriage.  Since men don’t change their names upon marriage, such a procedure is also quite sexist.

I’m very careful when on the internet.  I delete my history and cookies at the end of each internet session, and I don’t save any bookmarks.  My privacy settings are at the maximum possible.

I quite agree with you that a site like this might invite predators.  I’ve seen a few suspicious posts, but I can’t tell whether they should be classified as “suspicious” or “you can’t make this up”. 🙂

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?