Reply To: It’s been Transgender Week of Awareness, how aware do we want to be?

Stimulating question, Lauren.   I had to stop and think about this one before responding.

What I wish is to be out and unconcerned about it.   What I do is be out, with some some concerns about it.  Similar to Jasmine, I consider my safety in as much as where I choose to go.  I believe that I have been okay and accepted for who I am in my daily life.  At the same time, I believe that I am usually clocked as a transwoman:  I do have an exceptionally feminine body or face.   My personal experience shows me that  almost everybody takes me as is without fuss.  Whether I am talked about, or laughed at behind my back doesn’t concern or hurt me as I am not aware of it.

In this sense, being out serves as a public awareness activity.   At the same time, I do not initiate conversations about transgender awareness when I’m out.  I happily answer any questions and have conversations when someone brings it up.   The topic doesn’t come up very often am all.

I think that just being me is a public awareness function as it is, and a passive invitation to talk about it, but I’m not going to go out there with the intent to educate the world or be a “poster child” for us.  I think my presence is enough to let others know that I’m a confident, valid and important human being.  And judging by public reactions I’ve received, I am successful at it.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?