Reply To: Getting Connected With The Trans Community…

Barb
FREE

My connection with my local trans community has been bitter-sweet.

I have met champions and crusaders for trans rights, but I’ve also witnessed the some friends spiral into a world of drug addiction and prostitution.

As a group, we feel safe whenever we get together for coffee and/or any advocacy work. But once on our own, the world can be quite indifferent and sometimes hostile.

I haven’t yet personally experienced any hostility towards myself when on the street like others have. I suppose it’s because I’ve never had the need to access any services, like homeless shelters or mental health services. I’m comfortably fine. Lucky me.

What I have learned is that the greatest gift we have is each other! Our network may be small and spread out, but it is strong and growing. Even our local town council advocates for trans rights and our local politicians even meet us for coffee!

Best of all, our Trans and LGBT youth have mobilized in ways I could never have imagined when I was their age. They’re smart, engaged and incredibly supportive and helpful.

My world is in good shape and is getting better all the time! Best of all, I’ve made amazing friends for life!

Happy New Year All!

:Barb

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Barb.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?