Reply To: Informed Consent Orchiectomy

Dana Munson
SILVER

Hi, Penny!  There’s nothing “nuts” about being TG. (You haven’t been drinking any De Satan Kool-aid, have you?).  When I was young, evaluations by actual psychiatrists were pretty much a regular feature everywhere for TG candidates, exactly for the reason you hint at: there was a suspicion (very sexist at that) that a guy who wanted to be a girl was possibly not right in the head.  That is no longer the prevailing practice, it seems, but may still linger in some states. I am not posted on Florida’s current laws about medical treatment of TG patients. I can tell you that over this way, in California, no “psych” (as in psychiatrist) evaluation is required for the transition process to proceed. A therapist – totally different creature from a psychiatrist – may be necessary to offer input to the treating medical team at various times in the process.  For example, when I arranged for my tracheal shave (Adam’s apple removal), the plastic surgeon required a letter from my therapist opining that I was TG and a good candidate for the surgery. I will likely need another such letter from him later this year when – I hope! – I get my orchi done.  A therapist can help you work through mental and emotional issues surrounding your being TG – depression, anxiety, etc. – but they do not render opinions about a patient’s sanity, which is a medical determination strictly in the province of a psychiatrist (who is, after all, a species of medical doctor).

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?