Reply To: Breast Augmentation By Implant for Beginners

Michelle Lawson
MANAGING AMBASSADOR

<u>Maintenance:</u>

This pertains to the maintenance of the actual product to help maximize the safety and longevity, and not for the surgical after care process. If not, there could be issues with warranty validadtion down the road. For example, Sientra offers a 20 year warranty and seems to have a lower rate of Capsular Contracture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsular_contracture

Early on maintenance would include not only what the manufacturer recommends, but what the surgeon indicates, and your own personal observations. Being mindful of changes in size, shape, placement, and symmetry should be reported to your doctor as soon as practical. Also, changes in color, firmness, or smoothness, or feeling and sensitivity of the breast should be noted.

Periodic testing

Make sure, once the implant manufacturer, implant size and style, are decided on, that the manufacturer’s recommendation are understood and followed.

Comment 1: I had mine (silicone) for 18 years. The only thing i had to do was a screening every couple of years, then every year after the 10th year. You don’t have to do an mri, but the ultrasound type. In Europe it’s cheap. There seemed to be a rupture last year, but It was well past time to replace them, so I didn’t go ahead with the mri and decided to replace them. At the end there was no rupture. So there’s no rule.

Comment 2: Does anyone else have concerns about the maintenance required for implants? My PS told me they don’t have to be replaced every ten years if there isn’t an issue, but I’ve read the risk of a rupture goes up the longer you have them and its recommended to get screenings every few years which adds onto the cost.

Mammogram

Traditional mammograms may not be possible with breast implants. You need to alert the facility performing the mammogram that you have implants. So you can ensure they have experience performing mammograms with implants. There is a risk of rupture with both saline and silicone implants during a mammogram.

This if from Cohen/Winters Aesthetic & Reconstructive Surgeons:

Getting a mammogram with implants is safe overall and is still considered the best preventative measure. But you do have to be aware of a few things. First off, when you call to make your appointment at the screening center, let them know that you are getting a mammogram with implants. This way you will know if they have experience performing mammograms on women with implants, which differs slightly from a mammogram without implants.

It is a possibility for both saline and silicone implants to rupture during a mammogram, which is one of the reasons you want to make sure the mammographer is familiar with performing mammograms with breast implants, because mammograms with implants require special procedures. The older the implant, the more likely it is to rupture. Because women often get implants placed at a younger age, by the time you have a first mammogram, your implants are likely to already be older. Mammograms don’t always detect ruptures, which is why routine MRI scans are recommended for silicone implants. If your mammogram does detect a rupture, you will be notified so that you can let your plastic surgeon know immediately.

Another caution when undergoing mammogram with implants is capsular contracture. Capsular contracture is scar tissue forming around the implant. It is hard tissue and can crack when the breast is compressed during a mammogram. As a result, after a mammogram you may notice that your breasts have a slightly different look and feel, and each breast may react to the mammogram differently.

Despite the possible risks, current medical guidelines advise to continue getting mammograms with implants.

Comment 1: Had my 2nd mammogram today since my June 2016 BA. My first one was a breeze, this one was awful. Curious others experiences….my first one the tech did a really goid job ‘pulling’ my natural forward and pushing my implant back. At first I thought ‘what the heck’ but after today, I appreciated it so much more.  (375 silicone under)

Comment 2: Yes I did traditional/3D….an MRI is suggested every so many years I believe…

Dental Work

Recently I have learned of surgeons advising implant recipients to take antibiotics both before and after any dental procedures. I can’t determine if this is a new protocol, or if it is isolated to certain types of implants, or areas, or for certain types of dental procedures, or is it based on how close to when the implant surgery was performed. This is another concern you should address with both your surgeon and your dentist.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?