Reply To: Settling Into Our Lives…

DeeAnn Hopings
AMBASSADOR

“Post transition” was intended to be a bit open because I think there are many ways in which we can define transition. I don’t think it is a universal thing.

As it sits for me, my social transition is essentially done. I present as DeeAnn at least 90% of the time. I only present as Don in very specific situations. The last time was about 2 weeks ago when we went for our first vaccine shot. I have no plans to change my personal documents as it would represent an extraordinary amount of work. Ultimately it would be doable, but my time is better utilized elsewhere. Right now I hold offices in 4 organizations and there is possibly of a 5th. 3 of the 4 are LGBT organizations. I am not currently involved with a trans-specific organization for 2 reasons. I don’t rate any of the trans leadership here very highly and I also think that my time is better spent being out in the world. I  represent the trans community in effect, but functioning in broadly focused organizations involved in advocacy, politics and charity. Unfortunately trans people are generally thought to be unreliable and untrustworthy. My goal is that my presence helps to counteract that, or at least provides a positive data point.

Physically, I have no plans for hormone therapy or surgeries. I am fortunate in that I don’t have dysphoria. But, eventually I realized that I have always been an amalgam of female and male energies, perspectives, habits and preferences. My coming out was the realization and recognition of how it is for me.

Whenever we enter the unknown, we often have a preconceived idea if what it will be like. We can talk to others and have a general idea how things will go, but there is enough difference in our backgrounds that will create differences in our paths and outcomes. So, some of the questions relate to what we thought at the beginning of transition compared to what we thought later on. Further, as we know, MANY things can come into play: family situations, employment situations, financial situations, etc. Some can navigate the waters fairly well where others struggle mightily every day.

Anyway, these are unprecedented times. The times, the environments where we live and political shifts are having some significant impacts on the trans community. Considering all of the ups and downs of our lives in these turbulent times, how is it really going?

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?