“Boys, Let her get by!”

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

At first I was shocked. Then I wondered if it was intended to be ironic. But, no, it was sincere.

I decided to go to the local park and walk around the lake on the path. It was a beautiful fall day in the upper 70’s, and I was dressed accordingly. Women’s running shorts, a simple heather patterned t-shirt, my male running shoes (I’m not going to worry about the shoes, these were feminine enough, but they are a size 12 men’s).

I decided to not bother trying to “pass,” so there was no makeup. No breast forms, or even bra as I’ve begun over the past year of HRT to develop some of my own (assuming that they could be mistaken, with a little slouching, for “man-boobs”). Yes, I had earrings (forgot to take them out), and nail polish.

But I was still quite surprised. Joyfully surprised.

As I developed a rhythm to my walk, I saw ahead of me a bearded man that I would call one of the good ole boys from my rural neighborhood, walking with his two young boys.

The boys were playing in the path, having a rambunctious time. When the Dad turned to look at them, he saw me coming up to them, he stopped and said, “Hold up there, boys, let her get by!”

Let HER get by, he said.

Correctly gendered. Well, that put a grin on my face!

I consider my transition beginning with HRT on 8/8/2020. I’ve transitioned socially over the past year, but I doubt that I’ll do surgery. Who knows.

I’ve come to realize that I don’t have to decide whether to dress feminine or not, except to be appropriate to the event. Even so, it’s still women’s clothes that I choose, no matter how androgynous they might appear.

But that walk in the park was such a liberating moment, to be recognized as my true identity, without having to scream it out with a bullhorn. Or a frilly dress.

I had a similarΒ  reaffirmed moment.I was at the grocery store.Feminine jeans,no makeup.I guess I forgot something at checkout.This man turned to me to.say, “ma’am you forgot this.”It put a big smile on my face and showed it is working. So girls,Β  don’t be discouraged by what some perceive but just be yourself.

Hi lawren,

A beautiful story. It is such an amazing feeling that one has to eperiance to fully appreciate.

So happy your path.

TerriAnne

Lauren, thank you for sharing an “every day moment.” No glam, no clubbing, no photo shoot and the “pink cloud” ecstasy; no, just a moment in the life of the “lady next door.”

Can there be anything more affirming to one’s own womanhood? I think not. These are the moments that my dreams are made of. To relate to and be related to – “hold up there boys and let her pass” – as the women we are must be so special.

Such has never been my joy. . . but maybe one day? . . . Perhaps?. . .Β  just the woman next door, who simply being so merits the courtesy of a gentleman. Oh my, the thought makes me smile with delight while feeling a twinge of sadness at the same time.

Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Lawren, I do have to agree with Charlene’s reply. It is the simple, day to day, encounters and activities that one remembers the most. And have the most impact on us. Those sadly come to most few and far between. But we never stop trying to just be who we are. and those will come. Hugs, Michelle

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Real Life Transition Stories’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Β©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?