Choosing a Therapist

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jasmine
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

With all that is going on in the US, with the medical community being able to refuse service based on religion. Would it be an appropriate question to ask a therapist about their religious views? Would their views prevent them from treating me for my gender issues?

I don’t plan on making a big deal about it, but I don’t want to waste my time either. I mean if my health care site says the therapist is LGBTQ friendly and all of a sudden they have a problem helping those cause now they refuse treatment on account they can, would that be messed up?

What other questions would you ask when meeting a Therapist for the first time?  Cause out of the 3 I have meet so far, I just jumped in the deep end and spilled the beans in 3 minutes. They were ok but the travel time and availability prevented me from keeping steady appointments, and can I blame CDH, ha ha, LOL.

Hi Anthony,

I always pre-screen by first  looking at their Website or their professional description. I also look to see if they are involved in and/or support the transgender community (I.E. do they host a public support group).

Asking questions about their professional experience with people dealing with gender dysphoria is perfectly reasonable. Asking about the quantity of clients they have worked with through transition is also reasonable.

I always ask for a complementary or reduced cost initial appointment, I go in with a set of questions and discussion topics since I am interviewing them and I need to determine if a good working relationship is possible.

Ultimately  you must find someone that has your best interest at heart and that you feel comfortable with. You also have to be willing to end a professional relationship if you believe that are not capable or willing to do what is best for you.

Gender dysphoria is essentially a self diagnosis, only you can decide if your spirit and soul are a different gender than what your physical body would indicate. A good Therapist helps you to work out what is going on with you and what your path should be, then support you in that choice.

Finding a Therapist that is transgender can be a big win, as who could better understand what you are working through.  My fist one was a FTM, I was on the waiting list for almost 6 months, it was worth it to me.

-Cindi

Hi today i took my first step to be whom i am i told my doctor that i was transgender i was very nervous but she was so lovely and completly suportive of me gave me a high 5 and asked if she could  address me as nolene so happy today she asked me to come back  and said lets see where she nolene is going

Hi Anthony………..we do have a couple of girls on our site who are  Psychologists…….ask in the forums if you can chat with them. I have studied Psychology and assisted many folks thru my experiences and recommendations. I do not possess the paper degree but…..have a life-time of counciling others. If you wish, contact me and I will try to assist you with any issues….it is just that I have taken the opportunity to assist girls on our sites…..just to help…I do not charge and can letter your ears off. Give it some thought….no subject is too risque…and I can use my private e-mail for your security. Open forums are not allowed to get too personal.

Look forward to hearing from you……

Dame Veronica

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Advice for Transitioning’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?