Differently Abled?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

I posted this on the CDH side and perhaps it has application here also…

I would expect that some here are differently abled. This can be for any number of reasons: Parkinson’s, MS, arthritis, stroke, accident, etc.; basically any ailment that alters the physical operation of our bodies or our control over our bodies. So, the question is does that change how you dress, what you wear, how frequently you dress and any other way that your dressing might be effected?

For me, there are 2 issues that have shaped how I dress.

I’ve had arthritis since I was 6 (now 71). Fortunately, I am doing well compared to many who have had the disease as long as I have. Due to one ankle having about 20% of the usual range of motion, I have very particular limits regarding the heels that I wear. The absolute maximum difference, toe to heel, is 2 1/2”. To go higher requires a platform. Early on I had several pairs with a 4” heel and a 1 1/2” platform. I could do halfway decent at home with those, but I never wore them outside of my house.

Arthritis also comes into play regarding earrings, necklaces and back zippers. There was no point in getting my ears pierced because you need to be able to get both hands on both ears: one to pull on the ear to stretch the opening and the other to hold the earring and insert. I can only touch my ears with one hand as the other elbow doesn’t have enough flexibility. Therefore my earrings are of the clip variety. I’ve installed magnetic clasps on my necklaces so that I can fasten them in front and rotate. I can’t do back zippers. I have to enlist my wife’s help to do that. I like jumpsuits and have one that I bought early on with a back zipper. I’ve never worn it out as it complicates going to the restroom. Only ones that button in the front are workable. Dresses are not a problem as you don’t need to work the zipper in order to take a whiz. Now some might suggest one of those back zipper aides. The problem is that once I zipped it up, I can’t disengage the aide. Same would also be true for attaching it to unzip. As I said, my wife helps me, but there are sometimes when she is not around.

The second issue is that I had a mild stroke a bit over 3 years ago. That finally killed any hope of the 4” heels as my balance isn’t quite as good as it once was. Current limits are 3 1/4” heels with at least a 1” platform. When I go out, I take a cane with me, but I don’t use it at home. Since one hand is occupied with the cane, I usually take a small backpack, instead of a purse or a tote, to carry my iPhone, iPad, glasses, lotion tube, tissues, lipstick, nasal spray, blotting paper, keys, money, ID and credit cards.

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

The important thing is to recognize what we CAN do and get after that. What we should never do is limit ourselves in such a way that we fall short of what we can reasonably do. That would be retreating…

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Community Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?