Hi Everyone !!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hi Girls,

My name is Brenda and I’m a M to F Trans girl who has recently started my journey at 58 yrs of age!! I am presently in therapy, living as a woman, (must still work as a male, make too much $$ to quit now but I am working on this issue). I have contacted several surgeons in Thailand and one in Arizona but I have not yet decided on which one to use. One thing I know for sure, I will be making the trip to Thailand due to the cost difference, I will be paying out of pocket. I am a transplant from CDH, and I’ve been a member there since ? November 2018.

I’m sure I will have a million questions as time goes on and if I can ever do anything to help someone, a shoulder to cry on or you just want to chat, My door is always open so please don’tΒ  hesitate to ask !! I’m a very sensitive and compassionate girl and I do love to talk! Unfortunately, I do work a lot and I don’t get on-line as much as I like, but such is life!!?

Hugs, Brenda Leigh

Hiya Brenda,

Welcome to TGH. Note there are guys here as well, not just us girls (meh – men!).

I too am 58, but I’m curious as to why you’re not taking the insurance route? You mentioned one of your choices was a surgeon in AZ – would that be Dr. Meltzer or his associate Dr. Ley? Out of pocket expenses certainly make Thailand an attractive choice (I have several friends that have taken that route), but Meltzer and Ley are leaders in their field.

At any rate, I’m glad you’re here and wish you all the best on your journey.

Hugs, peace and much love,
      MJ

Hi Hon,

I spoke with Dr Meltzer’s office and I don’t have health insurance. Huge difference in costs from the state’s and Thailand, and the top 6 doctors in Thailand get excellent reviews, even from Drs here in the states. I know two girls that had their surgeries done overseas and both are very happy with their choice. I have only been researching this for a couple weeks on & off while taking care of a household, but it looks like the only way I can afford to get it done, unless someone knows something I don’t??

Hi Brenda,

I was able to use Covered California in obtaining insurance through Kaiser Permanente. I believe most states have similar exchanges that you might consider looking into for help in obtaining health insurance based on current ACA laws (I’ve seen plans as low as $1 per month in California, albeit with a slightly higher copay).

However, Thailand has some excellent surgeons and has long been a popular destination for those seeking GCS (India is another popular option). Everyone has their own criteria for what is and isn’t acceptable, but you could hardly go wrong by having your surgery there. Nevertheless, there are downsides to traveling overseas to have GCS, one being revisions and another being accountability. This doesn’t necessarily make Thailand (or any country for that matter) a poor choice, but you need to keep in mind all possible outcomes, weigh the risks associated with doing so, what’s both convenient in the short and long term, as well as the immediacy of the procedure(s) sought. All this is beyond just what your pocketbook can bear.

Whichever you choose, I’m sure you’ll make the right decision based on your continued research and wish you all the best. Please keep us posted.

Hugs, peace and much love,
          MJ

My door is open too Brenda.Β  I find myself stuck at the moment tryingΒ  to fix some life issue before moving forward with my need to have surgery.Β  I’ll be listening intently as I’m sure others will to your journey, trials, victories choices and decisions.

Hugs, Ambassador Cloe

Update:

For anyone interested, since May 15,2019 I met with Meg at the Meltzer Clinic and started HR T which has been the best thing I have done for myself so far. I am a much calmer, happier person with far less aggression and competitiveness attitude, I love how I feel. She started me on 4mg estrodial 2x daily, 100mg spironolactolone 2x daily, 5mg Of Oscar 1day.

Over the Memorial weekend I ended up hospitalized as I contracted Ecoli Bacteria in the bones of my right foot from a small cut I received at work. They had to amputate my big toe on my right foot because of the damaged caused by the cello and I spent a week in the hospital on IV antibiotics and six more weeks on antibiotic pills. The toe next to the one amputated then turned pointing downward which is sometimes the result of a toe amputation. It was impossible to walk and I broke this toe in two places putting me on my couch for six weeks while it healed. During this time, my PCP doctor sent me to the eye clinic for my blindness,cardiologist for a check up and GI doctor for a colon screening. I passed the colon screen, but the eye doctor found cataracts on both eyes and the cardiologist says I need stints in my heart. I just had my right eye surgery this past week and Wednesday Nov 6,2019 is my stint surgery. January 2, 2020 I am scheduled to start my other eye.

In June I met with Dr Ley at the Meltzer Clinic and she did a physical on me to plan for future surgery. She is a wonderful person who also had GCS in 2014 with Dr Meltzer, I just love her personality. She actually offered to do my surgery this month, November, but I don’t have the funds yet so we planned the summer of 2020. With all that’s happened with me and the months of lost work/income, I’m afraid I won’t have the money on time. I have continued living 24/7 at home and now at work as a woman and I have lost major income because I have came out trans. I own a very small plumbing company and have worked the industry for 40 years. I service mostly elderly retired people who do not think highly about transgender people and have been thrown out of two residences now.

I continue to keep a positive attitude and do the best I can with all the challenges I have faced this past six months and I do appreciate the hormones and change in my lifestyle. Living as a female has actually helped to curb some of the anxiety and depression I experience daily from the dysphoria. Also, I have found that I look more convincing when I dress more casual and without breast forms, hip & thigh pads, tons of make up. Lately, I wear leggings, shorts or woman’s jeans, candles or tennis shoes and a top with her liner, blush, lip stick, mascara. I am also much more comfortable and confident as a woman.

I have also filled out the paperwork to legally change my name to Breanne Leigh but I have not yet filed and paid the $330.00 court cost. I decided I wanted a new start in my life So instead of Brenda, a name I used for years, I chose Breanna. Very close to my own name Bret and easy to remember when they call your name at the doctors office. LoL

So, not much real progress as far as my transition goes but I have faced and am overcoming some health issues that could possibly cause problems during or after major surgery. I have not found any avenues here in Arizona to assist with the financial aspects of GCS. I own my home, no mortgaga, and have considered selling it to raise the money needed for my surgery and I may do that if things at work don’t get better. I hate to do that, I worked hard to get to this point in life and would feel like I would be stepping backwards, but I will do what I must. Thanks for reading!!

Omigosh Breanna, I feel so badly for you with all the troubles you have been going through.Β  It’s difficult enough to deal with the changes associated with transitioning but an infection from ecoli…that’s just bad luck.Β  It sounds like you have mended well and are making progress towards your final transition.Β  I am praying for you and wish you the best as you continue your journey.

Love and hugs,

Anne

Hi Anne,

Yes, 2019 has been an experience for me!! In February 2019 I had a small stroke while driving on the freeway, In May it was ecoli and amputation, In June and July it was a broken toe, August my wife had a heart attack, September I broke my foot, October I had cataracts removed, and tomorrow morning I go into the hospital for stints in my heart. What else could break down on my body this year!!? LoL

Hugs, Breanna

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Introductions and new members’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Β©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?