I love my hats

• Creator
    Topic
    megan McMahon
    Participant

When i was growing up, even as a child, i loved women in hats. i got most of my input from the many adorable women in the films i loved, the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s. so now after spending 60 years as a man i have the visual proof, receding hairline. the hats i always loved seeing on women are now not just an admiration. they are in my wardrobe. i have 12 hats for every possible outfit i wear and am always looking for others that catch my eye. i have a replica of the hat in ‘breakfast at tiffanys’ and some every woman in the 50’s or 60’s might have worn. i also have the big floppy hats that just look good. i even have a beret just in case i ever get an outfit it would go with. it helps that i live in a desert and hats are just plain needed, so why not look good at the same time i conceal my bald spot and declare the person i lied about all those wasted years of believing what others told me.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

Megan:

I am also a hat wearer. The introduction, however, was a bit unusual.

I lived in Corning, NY. One Saturday I had planned to go to a wig shop over in Elmira. At the time, I had one hat to my name. I had it for a month or 2, but had not worn it. I would wear wigs, but I needed my wife to help me put them on as I don’t have full motion in my wrists, elbows and shoulders due to arthritis. As I neared getting dressed, I went to look for my wife. I looked out a window just in time to see her backing out the driveway! After thinking for a moment, I decided to wear the hat as I had no other choices. Since I didn’t know where she was going, I had no idea if she would be back in time for me to make it over to the wig shop before they closed. A few months later I started to accumulate hats. That was in the last year before I retired.

After we relocated to the SoCal desert, I decided that wigs and desert heat didn’t work for me and I’ve been wearing hats and baseball caps almost exclusively ever since moving here 5 1/2 years ago. I had to chuckle a bit when I learned that sometimes I am referred to as The Hat Lady!

Since moving to the desert, I’ve accumulated 18-20 hats of different kinds. Sun hats, planter’s hats , some snap brims, outdoor activity hats and a number of baseball caps. As a MINI owner, some of the baseball caps have their logo. Being a longtime motorsports fan, I have a couple with the HOOSIER Racing Tire logo. Unfortunately some hats are of materials that you cannot clean and I tend to sweat a fair amount. That leaves a darkened area and those are being phased out. There is a trade off as the more expensive ones tend to made of materials that can be cleaned.

The 2 outdoor activity hats have neck straps and I often wear those when it is windy and I’m outdoors for some time. Wouldn’t do to expose what little hair that I have! An example of that would be attending the collector car auctions here. The auction is conducted under a big open tent, but the cars are on display outside.

For the last few years I have been cutting my hair very closely. I haven’t tried shaving yet, but I may be talking to my barber about that in the near future.

While I sort of fell into this, it is completely appropriate given my attraction to vintage clothes. The bulk of my wardrobe is from the 90’s on down to the 60’s; the earliest being a Butte Knit double knit sweater dress from the late 60’s. People tend not to wear hats these days as part of one’s ensemble. I have no problem with being distinctive…

thanks for the offer of sites to get hats. i would love the information. as for the hat i looked it up online. i have seen it in many movies. it is a beautiful hat and is a good size for the need of less coverage.

on another subject. thanks for making my first chat session so good. i knew i was welcomed there within the first few minutes. it was exactly what i needed at the time.

Michelle Larsen
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Megan, I have a Russian Navy black ushanka and that is about it. But I have come across many websites that have all sorts of vintage and replica hats. Let me know if you are interested. Hugs, Michelle

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa | Affiliate

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you don't see the captcha above please disable ad and tracking blockers and reload the page.