Injectable HRT used syringes & needles

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

My mother has used injectable medicines for years, so when my doctor switched me from pills to injections, my mother told me that I needed a ‘sharps container’ to dispose of my used needles and syringes. You apparently don’t just throw them out in your normal trash. I’m sure there are many reasons why you don’t, given these days and times. And besides, if there are approved disposal containers, why not use them. I get mine for free from the local hospital. Now, I do not know what the laws are, or what your doctor’s guidance is, but I think it is something to be considered. I just wanted to pass this tidbit along….. Hope everyone is well and safe, Michelle

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

My arthritis medication, Enbrel, comes in injectable form. It looks a lot like an Epi-Pen that is used for folks as an immediate drug (epinephrine) for people who have severe food allergy reactions or allergic reactions to insect bites, etc. My hometown has a free Sharps Container program and they also dispose of it when the container is full. It is about the size of a 12-pack of beer bottles and I also deposit my glucose test strips and lancets in it. At one dose per week it does take a while to fill up. The pens are slightly larger than an old fountain pen. Of the 3 sizes offered, I got the largest container as I am not often near where the collection center is and it would have to be a special trip. It is only open once a week for 90 minutes…

Emily Alt
      UNITY

I’ve been told if a sharps container isn’t available, it’s acceptable to put needles and syringes into a rigid plastic container, such as an empty laundry detergent bottle.Β  When the container is 2/3 full, securely close the top, label it as a sharps container, and dispose according to community guidelines.Β  Obviously a designated sharps container should always be your first choice.

Michelle Lawson
        MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Emily, excellent idea. I’m not sure what the rules are around here, but since my mom gets them from the hospital, I’ll continue with that. But those big Tide pod containers sound good too. Thanks, Michelle

Check with your local health department.Β  In some localities there are enforceable regulations on what you can use.Β  For example Fairfax Co Virginia:

Rigid Container: Use a container with a screw-on cap such as an empty laundry detergent bottle or bleach bottle. The bottles must be marked with a warning label using a felt-tipped marking pen. DO NOT place household sharps in glass containers, plastic soda bottles, milk jugs or aluminum cans.

I’m glad I read this because they used to allow for soda bottles.Β  Now I have work to do….

DeeAnn Hopings
        AMBASSADOR

Actually in my case, the Sharps Container is a bit of an overkill, but I have no problem with using it. The “pen” that Enbrel comes in has a cylindrical plug that gets removed before use. I believe it arms the mechanism. The end of the needle is at least 1/8″ back from the opening. After injection, I reinsert the plug. It fits quite snugly and the needle is well shielded from exposure. The plug requires a fair tug to remove it again, so to my way of thinking it is well protected. I would be OK with not using an official Sharps Container, but evidently our city government looks upon the containers as a way of minimizing risk and that seems appropriate…

I just started with injectables (spelling?)a month ago and I was told a rigid plastic container is fine and then when it’s full or almost bring it to the county toxic waste area.

Michelle Lawson
        MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Yep, and I’m thinking (and seeing) that different places have different rules. So we have to be cognizant of what the rules are. Where I live the hospital has drop off bins you can use as well. So I plan to take advantage of that ability. Michelle

I wish they would authorize Hormone implants for MTF, it would make life so much better for us

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘The Physical Transition’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Β©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?