Plume?

• Creator
    Topic
    Cynthia Dubois
    Participant

Anybody ever try Plume?  To me it sounds like one of those too good to be true services.  Just wondering if anyone knows literally anything about the legitimacy of this service?  Thanks.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

I’ve had Plume for 2 years now.Just had a video conference with my doctor this morning.  She readjusted my meds. Signed me up for a 4 week video conference  with other transgender  persons. They had gotten very impersonal lately.My doctor apologized for  it. But all is forgiven. Looking forward to my next steps.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

Regarding full disclosure, I have not done HRT and have no plans to do so. If anyone wants to ask why, send me a PM and I will discuss it.

That said, as we know, there are trans people who do self-medication. The problem is monitoring. For example, I take an arthritis drug (one of the ones advertised on TV) that requires certain periodic blood tests so that something untoward doesn’t go undetected. It is a very important part of the treatment. Since the blood tests are established as a particular part of the Plume program, that is a positive to me.

One additional piece I will add is that a while back someone here asked if anyone was doing self-medication. I did a bit of searching and found (and posted) the recommended blood test protocols, and their frequency. for both trans men and trans women. I suggest doing the same research and compare that with the Plume information.

3 users thanked author for this post.
        DeeAnn Hopings
        AMBASSADOR

Ah, found the information that I had previously posted…

https://www.bumc.bu.edu/endo/clinics/transgender-medicine/guidelines/

This link from the Boston University School of Medicine includes the medication and monitoring regimes for F>M and M>F.

Monitoring for transgender women (MTF) on hormone therapy:

1. Monitor for feminizing and adverse effects every 3 months for first year and then every 6– 12 months.
        2. Monitor serum testosterone and estradiol at follow-up visits with a practical target in the female range (testosterone 30 – 100 ng/dl; E2 <200 pg/ml).
        3. Monitor prolactin and triglycerides before start- ing hormones and at follow-up visits.
        4. Monitor potassium levels if the patient is taking spironolactone.
        5. BMD screening before starting hormones for patients at risk for osteoporosis. Otherwise, start screening at age 60 or earlier if sex hormone levels are consistently low.
        6. MTF patients should be screened for breast and prostate cancer appropriately.

DeeAnn,

That’s what I was wondering.  Some places just sell the hormones and give no real guidance with dosage, which, as you said, can lead to complications.  That’s why it is so important to not self-medicate or use “self-help” methods, and to get guidance from trained doctors and psychiatrists.

As noted, it seems legit. I’m not sure it is a “too good to be true” deal, though. I’d have to add things up, but I’m pretty sure that I’m at less than $99/mo average for my care. It’s all covered by my insurance, and the co-pays aren’t that much.

If you don’t have insurance to cover it, or don’t have providers near you that will do it, then I can see this as a very good option.

Jasmine
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

I have used the service for almost two years, they monitor my hormone levels and adjust the prescriptions as needed.

The fee is 99 dollars a month.

I usually have 2 video calls with my doctor twice a year and the labs are paid by Plume when you go to their provider which is Quest for me. I get a copy of the report that I share with my primary doctor and try to keep both doctors updated with what I am doing. So basically I don’t have to find a local doctor help with my HRT.

What else would you like to know?

And the do offer webinars for free from time to time. I probably should take advantage of the other services they offer.

Thanks, Jasmine.  I’m wondering about the qualifications of the doctors.  Do they give their credentials as to what their training is in?

Jasmine
          MANAGING AMBASSADOR

I’m sure they would answer your questions if asked.

Jasmine
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

It’s A legit service. Do you live in a state that is allowed to use this service?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa | Affiliate

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you don't see the captcha above please disable ad and tracking blockers and reload the page.