Pop Culture Transphobia

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

My son shared this video with me, and it’s really eye-opening. It helps connect a lot of the dots that many of us have internalized regarding the guilt and embarrassment we feel over being trans. When you see all the negative stereotypes strung together, one after the other in rapid succession, it’s like, “no wonder!” Media has totally promoted transphobia for decades.

Also, this YouTuber is super-entertaining. And as you’ll see, NOT a fan of J.K. Rowling (for obvious reasons, but she really takes it to her…)

As an aside, my son does not know I’m trans, but this is a topic he’s been really into, and is a total J.K. hater because of her TERF views. It’s such a great sign that younger generations are so much more willing to accept being trans as a legitimate thing. Ah, if only I had been born in this generation…

Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Alexis, and that dear lady is why I do everything I can to stay away from pop culture. Everyone, and everywhere, in the media and entertainment world seems to be on a tear to push every stereotype they can. Divisiveness makes money. Maybe if more in the media and entertainment world would just keep quiet,and their opinions to themselves, and instead actually reach out to others, with love and caring….. Wow, what a world that would be. I was only able to watch a bit of the video, but I will download it and watch it all later. Michelle

I’d love to get your thoughts after you watch the whole thing. FWIW, the host is awesome. She totally cracks me up, and it helps take the edge off what is pretty horrifying…

My favorite is how she continually refers to the author as “JoAnn.” And wow, in retrospect, there’s some really questionable stuff in Harry Potter.

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

There’s an old saying in the news business:

”If it bleeds, it leads.”

That concept is alive and well from the standpoint of reinforcing stereotypes…

Hi Alexis,

Well I watch both videos, I found them informative,  hurt full, worried and not understanding why they keep on using the word sex and not gender, I think they are two different things.                                             Alexis thank your son for posting that video to you. I am disappointed in JK Rowlings/Joann.                        My kids grew up with her writings and loving them, but when defends her action, talking out of both sides of her mouth, thinking all transgender people are out to hurt cis women, it’s hurtful to me as a transgender woman, just trying to be part society as just being me, I don’t think about what others really think of me, I try not to judge other people of how they look, if anything I have learned is that every one has a story and until you what it is just it to yourself.

Love to all                                                                                                                                                                     Timmie

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Community Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?