Pursuing their HRT as “informed” and self medicating

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Vincenza
      SILVER

so I have been reading like some many – and thing got me to wondering

a – of those following any HRT regime;

who is progressing under the concept of informed consent vs direct doctors orders

b – anyone self medicating ?  as in choosing their own dosages or system of delivery (and similar)

c – anyone using the so called “grey” pharmacies?  how has it worked out?

I was buying prescriptions on line, but for a while now I must be on some sort of watch list because my medications are “confiscated” at the us port of entry by the FDA and destroyed.

long story story hugely shortened for the sake of brevity – but it was not hormones – but I figure those will end up going the way of the dodo as well…..

wondering if im alone in all these crazy ideas and thoughts

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

I realize that some trans people do self-medicate, for any number of reasons. In my estimation, there are some particular reasons not to.

https://www.bumc.bu.edu/endo/clinics/transgender-medicine/guidelines/

This passage is significant:

Monitoring for transgender women (MTF) on hormone therapy:

1. Monitor for feminizing and adverse effects every 3 months for first year and then every 6– 12 months.
      2. Monitor serum testosterone and estradiol at follow-up visits with a practical target in the female range (testosterone 30 – 100 ng/dl; E2 <200 pg/ml).
      3. Monitor prolactin and triglycerides before starting hormones and at follow-up visits.
      4. Monitor potassium levels if the patient is taking spironolactone.
      5. BMD screening before starting hormones for patients at risk for osteoporosis. Otherwise, start screening at age 60 or earlier if sex hormone levels are consistently low.
      6. MTF patients should be screened for breast and prostate cancer appropriately.

It is likely that none of these would happen if self-medicating. I would have to think that monitoring these various things have significance, else why make them a part of the process?

Vincenza
        SILVER

excellent information

DeeAnn Hopings
          AMBASSADOR

Many medications are accompanied by periodic tests to determine if everything is OK. I take an arthritis medication that requires periodic testing for liver function. If someone is not under medical care, I don’t know how you could get the testing…

Vincenza
            SILVER

very true – but i believe folks who seek things in the grey zone chose to accept those risks – good or bad

DeeAnn Hopings
            AMBASSADOR

Everyone does what they feel they need to do, given their particular set of circumstances. However, if that were my situation, the risk vs. reward equation doesn’t balance out…

Vincenza
            SILVER

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Indeed</p>

Vincenza
            SILVER

<p style=”text-align: left;”><b>I understand and to your point, caution is advised given the potentially life </b><span style=”font-size: 16px;”><b>threating</b></span><b> impacts</b></p>

Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

When I started, I went the ‘informed consent’ route to start seeing and endocrinologist. After a short visit with her, a few tests and blood work, I was off and moving; forward! Since then I have only ever been under a medical doctor’s care and guidance. The stories of those self medicating mail orders web site places scares me as I just do not see the proper level of control I would be comfortable with. Hugs, Michelle

Marianne
      AMBASSADOR

I’m currently not able to get HRT either way and not willing to take the risks of self medication. So no HRT even though l wish for it.

Toni Floria
      HOSPITALITY CREW

Thank you all for addressing this topic

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Stories from the Hearth’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?