Social Security, Medicare, and Supplemental Insurance

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Well, what I was told, is apparently different from what ‘can’ occur. Once your name is officially changed with Social Security, that information is supposed to pop over to Medicare, and then over to your Supplemental Insurance carrier. And I’m sure that in most cases it does. But in my case, the SSA and Medicare link broke down. So, after talking with both my Supplemental Insurance carrier and Medicare I was told I needed to contact SSA and have them start the process.

As expected the hold time on the phone with SSA was far longer than the actual time talking to someone to make the change. But don’t despair, the change goes quick once someone is on the phone. I had that conversation yesterday (4/4/2022) and by the next day, Medicare showed the name change and I was able to download a new Medicare card.

The net of all of this is that this is ‘your’ name change, so be prepared to have to stay on top of things. In a few days I will be calling my Supplemental Insurance carrier to make sure they got what they need to make the change as well. Hugs, Michelle

Brielle
      FREE

Thanks, GF! This is great timing as I will begin the process in June, probably (at least get the info I need with the SSA). I plan to come out to my USPS team in early Fall, with the social transition being completed by Jan 1. I have Part A medicare, but not anything else since I’m still employed full time. I guess one thing is I may have to tell HR before the name on my SS account would change, so I need to understand that sequencing to avoid being outted early.

I’ve tried a few times to call SSA just to defer my benefit and waited for hours before giving up.

Hugs,

Brie

The USPS is very good about letting your transition be on your terms and timetable.

Michelle Lawson
        MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Brie, I’m sure you already have this; but if not, here is the link for the Social Security stuff to ponder:

https://transequality.org/know-your-rights/social-security

And from what I can tell from your profile, I suspect you may already have this as well. But just in case….

https://transequality.org/documents/state/pennsylvania

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you. I know it was much easier for me once I started making a list of all the things I needed to do. Then mark them off one at a time as I did them. The first bunch of things needed to be done serially in my case, and I suspect maybe in most cases. Hugs, Michelle

Brielle
          FREE

Hi Michelle, I started a spreadsheet with about 50 things to do or update, and I’m including a column for prerequisites and one for date due. When I really started listing it all out, it was eye opening! And that list doesn’t include individual family or friends to notify. I’m glad I went to Sophie’s workshop on how to come out to family, friends, employers, etc. and the ID change workshop as well.

I have accessed both the links, but I appreciate your including them for us.

Hugs,

Brie

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Real World Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?