Sometimes There Is Recognition And Closure…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR
      52 Years Later, IBM Apologizes for Firing Transgender Woman

Lynn Conway was one of the company’s most promising young computer engineers but after confiding to supervisors that she was transgender, they fired her.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/21/business/lynn-conway-ibm-transgender.html?fbclid=IwAR3oakdYRFPDtiDcWklIJeJ6uh2gF_eOa1dzj35yuBMu71DqnKFJmEstoK4

Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

DeeAnn, I have no idea how I overlooked this one; especially since I worked for IBM….. And two years later, Gene Amdahl left IBM to found Amdahl Corporation. Wikipedia has a very interesting article on her life. Well worth reading. Michelle

Cathy
      FREE

The other day I was reading Lynn Conway’s homepage. Any company would be foolish to fire her!

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/conway.html

DeeAnn Hopings
        AMBASSADOR

You have to remember that those were very different times. Plus, for as few protections as there are for trans people now, there were none then. Had she actually transitioned at IBM, more than likely sexism would have come into play. In reflection, IBM may have done her a favor.

We like to believe that the US is a meritocracy, but this incident was clearly the opposite. While those that she worked with and for were OK, the opposite was true as you went up the food chain. They let their prejudice and fear lead them to a bad decision.

However, times are changing. Compare Dr. Conway’s experience with that of Dr. Maggie Stump at Prudential. Worlds apart.

Actually, my LGBT employee affinity group at Corning brought Dr. Stump in for a speech, but I missed it as I was working out of the country at that point…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Real Life Transition Stories’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?