Travelling

• Creator
    Topic
    Mallory Barbie
    Participant

For those who are presenting all the time.

Im wondering about your experiences in traveling.

I love traveling, and while I am working on my own transition, while it won’t stop that…

I just want to know what to prepare for. Do you find that there are places that you wouldn’t go back to, places you would avoid?

on the flip side, have you had good experiences anywhere?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

I own a MINI and every 2 years (pandemic not withstanding) they organize a cross country tour/adventure. I participated in 2018. There were western and eastern routes that met in Keystone, CO. The western route started at Portland and went southward to Los Angeles. I joined there as there wasn’t much point to drive up to Portland just to come back to Los Angeles as I was driving by myself.

http://s3.motoringfile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/EE53E6F0-E908-40FC-9DFD-9772484BF605.jpeg

I stayed overnight in LA, Flagstaff, Santa Fe, Durango and Keystone and on the way back, Denver, Albuquerque and Phoenix. Included were stops at Winslow, AZ, Pike’s Peak and a few other places. I presented as DeeAnn the entire time. All nights were spent in major chain hotels, except for one night in a small woman-owned motel. I have a credit card in DeeAnn’s name, but my driver’s license is for Don. Of all the places I stayed, there was only one double take when I presented my license and credit card. Even with that, you could see the light bulb go off! Oddly enough, I was never mis-gendered even though it happens with some frequency in my home area.

In 2019 I spent a long weekend in the Bay Area and toured 2 Frank Lloyd Write designed homes that are rarely open for public tour. I rented a tiny house in Richmond and overnighted in San Luis Obispo in both directions. I presented as DeeAnn the entire time with no issues.

I think the important thing is to be confident and not self-conscious. People pick up on insecurity and that draws the wrong kind of attention.

3 users thanked author for this post.

DeeAnn,

what a neat thing for them to set up. sounds like a fun road trip. Some sounds like you were on old Route 66. And I love that the trip went well.

DeeAnn Hopings
          AMBASSADOR

Unfortunately the part of Route 66 was pretty short. The bulk of the driving is on interstates as most of the days are planned for roughly 400 to 450 miles. Personally, that is about my limit for a day.

One of the things that I kicked myself about was that as I was leaving Winslow, I circled around to take some photos of an old Crosley station wagon. While the body looked a bit rough, it appeared to be derivable. Unfortunately I missed one of the few remaining Harvey Houses that was across the street!?!? It has been restored and once again serves as a hotel and restaurant. Didn’t realize that until I got home. Pissed…

Anyway, for both journeys I only took one change of Don clothes, but never touched them. I don’t remember being misgendered on either trip. However, it seems to happen close to home with a frequency that surprises me. Yesterday I stopped at a Jersey Mike’s sub shop to get something to take home. I was wearing a MINI baseball cap, makeup, jewelry, feminine oversized eyeglasses, mask, black t-shirt with the MINI logo (covering 38H boobs!), short skort and heels. I was asked (without me saying a word at that point): “What may I get for you sir?”. I didn’t say anything. I just stared at him. It took him a couple of seconds and then it was “Oh, sorry, sorry, yes Ma’me…”. My physical size is quite average for males, which puts me just a few inches taller than the average females, but not enough to make a major difference. Anyway, I really don’t understand what people are actually looking at and what they think that they see. That is just a mystery to me…

No direct experience, but following along, as I plan to start some travels in the near future.

From what I’ve heard from both full-time and part-timers and travel is that it’s getting better (TSA), and usually it is all just fine otherwise.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa | Affiliate

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you don't see the captcha above please disable ad and tracking blockers and reload the page.