Virtual Therapy

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if Virtual Therapy is as good as face to face therapy! I need to begin my transition as soon as I can. I can see a virtual therapist right away, it’s less expensive, I don’t have to drive an hour and 15 minutes each way.          (Saving time and money) reducing my cost further, but if they don’t help me begin my transition then it’s not worth my time or my money.

Stacy Ann
      SILVER

Hi Kimmi,

I haven’t had one-on-one therapy, but I’ve gone to in-person gender support groups as well as a virtual one. There is something to be said for developing a routine of going out dressed and presenting in public, but as far as the actual content of the meeting, it seemed to be the same as far as I could tell.

And yes, the commute is much easier!

Thank you for hating with me I am not ready to be dressed in normal clothes yet but when I am I could easily go to one on one but since there isn’t any support groups near me I could be dressed with no place to go……. ☹️

I am soo embarrassed that should have read thank you for sharing with me! Can you forgive me please?

Seren
      FREE

Hey Kimmi

I’m a Brit living in Germany and my German is nowhere near good enough to describe my current feelings (even in English I struggle 🤣) so virtual was the only way. I’ve found it extremely useful and the therapist has helped me to start hormone therapy, but I still needed the sign off from a gp and another therapist to get to see the endocrinologist.

Let us know how you get on

Seren x

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Dear Miss Seren: ( you have such a wonderful name ma’am)</p>
        <p style=”text-align: left;”>Thank you for reaching out to me! I will let you know how it goes with me</p>
        <p style=”text-align: left;”>((((((((((( hug ))))))))))))</p>
        Kimmi

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

Kimmi:

Communicating virtually isn’t quite the same as in person, but it is fairly close. Assuming that your audio and video are good, about the only thing that is missing a bit is reading body language as most images are from the shoulders, up.

Further, in your case, timing and logistics come into play. It isn’t 100%, but it would seem that it would be hard to do better given your present circumstances.

One thing that I have noticed is that many people don’t spend enough time getting their visual presentation in good shape. Many are poorly lit and are either too dark or have annoying bright sports. Reflections on eyeglasses are also a bit of a distraction. There are many YouTube videos dealing with these issues that can be helpful…

[postquote quote=96181]
      (((((((( 🤗 hug )))))))))))

DeeAnn Hopings
        AMBASSADOR

After the dust settles, I suspect that ZOOM and other similar programs will still be a part of how life goes on. In major metropolitan areas and out in the boonies it significantly cuts down on travel time and expense. Granted it isn’t like being there, but there are benefits. There is talk that our local LGBT Center may go to a hybrid structure where meetings and activities can be attended in person or virtually.

Here in the Coachella Valley there are 9 towns and some unincorporated communities. They are arranged roughly northwest to southeast: Palm Springs at the northwest and the community of Mecca at the southeast (next to the Salton Sea). To get from one end to the other is about 38 minutes one way with favorable traffic and that can easily stretch to over an hour…

Emily Alt
      UNITY

I’ve been doing virtual therapy since the beginning of the pandemic. It was that or no therapy because my therapist had to close her office. I was a little apprehensive at first – there’s no substitute for office visits. But it’s getting the job done. I’m still making progress. My therapist says I’m heading in the right direction. Most important – I know I’d be in a much worse place without the sessions.

Don’t let virtual deter you. It’s a decent option.

[postquote quote=96193]
      ((((((( 🤗 hug )))))))))))

[postquote quote=96187]
      Man I wish there was a group close to me ……..sigh

Hey, Kimmi.  Here’s my 2 cents.   I prefer face to face.  I speak from both sides, as a person in therapy, and as a licensed therapist.  Virtual sessions can be very useful for people that want to have counseling.   Their motivation in finding a therapist will help the sessions move forward.   And, of course, during the peak of pandemics.  Personally, I like face to face with my therapist.

As the counselor, I strongly prefer face to face, as there is so much useful information that we send out that includes the whole body.  I can be more deeply connected to the discussion that I can on line.  Also, on-line sessions lend themselves to distraction.   Just think of all your zoom meetings, and how easy it is to mentally wander off!

Age may be a factor.  Younger people may be more inclined toward video as it has been a huge part of their lives since conception, much more significant than for those over about 40 years old.

You can keep the extra penny.   That was only 1 cent worth.   LOL.

Peace and love        Carly

Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Kimmi, I’m not a fan of virtual stuff either, but not because of the quality of care, but because we humans love the ability to physically interact with other’s. I’m like you, I hate the drive, but it is what it is. If the outcome is the same, then virtual should do just fine. I have had a few of those with my Endo and other doctors, but somethings just have to be face to face. BTW, is your therapist listed in Local Places here? If not, please let me know so I can add them. Hugs, Michelle

[postquote quote=96215]
      You are very kind! I am grateful for you taking time to respond to me!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Advice for Transitioning’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?