We Need a Movement for Trans Lives

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Rebecca
      FREE

Whilst the ideological, hate-filled campaigns against transgender people gets more than their share of media coverage here in the UK, it seems sadly much further advanced into legislation in the USA.

On Saturday October 29, the Florida Board of Medicine voted to begin drafting rules that will ban all gender affirming care for anyone under 18. They did this based on a “medical report” written by a dentist, after refusing to let activists and experts opposed to the ban speak at the hearing while trans youth led a die-in outside. This is the latest advance of the far-right’s deadly and radical anti-trans agenda.

The Florida Board of Medicine sets and regulates medical practices and medical professionals in the state of Florida. This rule would essentially ban medical professionals from providing gender affirming care unless they want to risk losing their licenses. These far-right zealots aren’t happy just banning trans girls from playing sports, they aren’t happy banning trans people from using the correct bathroom, they aren’t even happy banning mentions of queerness from schools. To put it simply: they won’t be happy until they have effectively made it illegal to be trans.

We need to fight back. It’s clear from polls, elections and our personal experiences that the general public does not, in the main, support anti-trans legislation which is driven largely by a well-funded minority. We should keep ourselves informed, campaign and vote for our own freedoms. The candidates and parties we join and vote for make the difference.

Florida Is Poised to Ban Gender-Affirming Care for Minors — We Need a Movement for Trans Lives – Left Voice

And we best hurry. I’m not getting any younger and the possibility of a retirement or nursing home could be in the cards if my health were to fail. So far so good. Any idea where there are good homes with qualified staff that support trans folk? Me neither.

Barb
        FREE

Excellent discussion!

We talked about this at our LGBT Older & Bolder group here in Ontario just two weeks ago. Many are fearful of having to go back in the closet if they end up in an elder care home of some sort.

The good news is that we’re becoming more and more aware of Pride needs, especially when it comes to elder care. It seems that every time we reevaluate our health care system we add more seats to the discussion table and more voices get heard.

No matter how things progress, I ain’t getting dropped off at any nursing home without my high heels! LOL!!

Barb

Michelle Lawson
          MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Barb, I’d love to hear more about that group in Ontario you belong to. And yes, elder care outside of family and friends may be in the cards for many, so it is best to be prepared. Michelle

Barb
            FREE

Michelle!

I’d be delighted to tell all! Well… perhaps not all. Such a sordid bunch. LOL!!

How about an article or new thread?

Barb 🙂

Michelle Lawson
            MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Barb, absolutely, either one, but if it is long enough, and Article would be nice. I’m looking for some contact info for the group so I can list them in Local Places….. I do so love adding resources for you all. Michelle

me too. Barb, where do you reside, within say 50 miles?

Barb
            FREE

Hey Jill!

I live and sashay in-the-woods between Barrie and Orillia, so about 200 miles and a 4 hour drive between us. And, Google Maps shows very little civilization between us too, meaning there’s no Starbucks along the way. LOL!!

However, I’ve found that most local artisan coffee shops are very Pride friendly, but they’re mostly in cities and larger towns.

Give me a shout if you’re ever near Barrie or Orillia!

:B

That would be heels, hose jewellry wigs, polish, makeup, did I miss anything?  Lol

And anyone that tries to put runners with Velcro straps on me will get their fingers broken! Lol

Barb
            FREE

HA HA!!

My father-in-law got his first pair of Velcro running shoes at his nursing home. He got a real kick out of them. He said with a smile, “This is great! I don’t have to remember how to tie my shoes anymore!” The whole family and staff were in stiches! LOL!!

:B

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

Lmao

Agreed Rachael. Only potential issue I see is an increase of violence against us the more we are in the front and centre. Maybe that’s par5 of the cost for us because we already have violence against us. Food for thought and discussion for sure

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

Yes. As I remember something like well over 60% here in the US know a gay person. It falls to around 30% for trans people. That is a MAJOR difference.

Rebecca
      FREE

I seem to recall from history lessons that yours was the strategy employed by many Jewish people in 1930s Germany. Given that trans-haters are often the same kind of people who gained power in that state, I doubt that using the same response will be any more successful.

An old, dark joke told by some Jewish people even today: Two Jews are blindfolded against a wall facing a firing squad. One says to the other, “I’m going to ask for a cigarette.” The other replies, “Shhh, don’t make trouble!”

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Transgender Policies and Laws’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?