“What do we call you?”

• Creator
    Topic
    Mallory Barbie
    Participant

I’m 55 years old. I have a daughter who is in her early 30’s and a son who is almost that.

I came out over the weekend to them. Happily they were very supportive. Then came the question. So what should we call you? my son asked if I’d like to be called mom also. I’ve got mixed feelings about that. I feel like mom is almost a sacred thing. Not sure I’ve earned those stripes. but being called “dad” will not likely be correct either especially as I continue the transition.

anyone have this kind of experience? What did you decide?

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

My own solution to this was the just continue to be called Dad.

My girls have both been really great with me since coming out and it’s seems a small concession. For me, it’s just a name shared amongst those people closest to me and I know they aren’t misgendering me or denying my reality.

But I did also warn them there may come a day when my feelings on the matter may change.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Michelle Larsen
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Mallory, whilst not knowing that it had been thought up countless times before, i thought ‘Maddy’ was a nice cross between mommy & daddy. I figured ‘Dommy’ might raise some eyebrows in public, so I dixed that one… Michelle

Michelle,

that one is interesting !

it’s usually short for Matilda or Madison…

in this usage it combines mom and daddy. If they mess up they can use the similarity to convince someone they misheard.

its really kind of clever and is kind of an inside joke.

I’m going to pass that one on to the kids.

thank you!!

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

Mallory:

There is also a situational part to this. There was a scene in TRANSPARENT where Maura goes shopping with her daughters. They all go to a restroom and one of the daughters forgets and says “Dad”. As expected, all hell broke loose in the women’s restroom!

Anyway, after committing to a new name, it requires that all remember to use it and not mistakenly fall into old habits…

Anonymous

How about letting them come up with a nick name to call you that has meaning for all ?

Alexis

Alexis,

I had not thought of that at at all. There is a neat idea.

How about Mallory

Hi Julie,

I certainly have no problem with that. I mean it’s my name.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa | Affiliate

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you don't see the captcha above please disable ad and tracking blockers and reload the page.