What were you feeling when you began Hormone Replacement Therapy?

Have you started Hormone Replacement Therapy?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • Yes, just recently
  • Yes, been on it for a while
  • No, not yet but soon
  • No, I'd like to but not sure when
  • No, I'm not planning to

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Cloe (CC) Webb 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Vanessa Law
    Managing Ambassador

I remember sitting in the parking lot outside a local Walgreens, holding a bottle of testosterone blockers in my hand. This was many years ago, but it still feels like yesterday.

The journey to that moment was long, arduous and filled with doubt. Just to get there required measures of courage I never thought I had, not to mention relationship challenges and the practical aspects like finding a transgender friendly doctor who could prescribe them.

As I was sitting there I thought to myself, “This is the beginning. Life will never be the same again.”

While I had done laser hair removal and electrolysis, this was the first moment where the journey truly felt irreversible.

I don’t remember if I prayed, but I paused, I pondered. And after consideration I swallowed the first pill with eagerness.

A new stage of my journey had begun.

I’d love to hear your story of the start of your Hormone Replacement Therapy, or if you’re not yet on HRT, the path you have taken towards this moment so far.

5 users thanked author for this post.
  • Author
    Replies
     Dame Veronica Graunwolf 
    Ambassador

AMBASSADOR

Hi Vanessa and ladies.  I am on many prescription drugs for heart issues and I was very afraid to add HRT to it. I could not face another doctor lecturing me on what to do and what was good and not good for me. I am stubborn as hell and have always done what I wanted to do. It is my life and I will do as I wish to accomplish my goals. I grew so tired of fighting and carrying a males load in this world….it was never enough or appreciated, so I thought about it and decided I wanted to be a girl….a complete change from what I have known for so long.

OK…..it might kill me but it is what I want to do and be. If it does kill me….well…I will go happy and that is what is important in life. Life is the persuit of happiness and well being….so I went for it, never looked back and full steam ahead. I don’t regret my decision for 1 second.  “don’t worry….be happy”.  Besides, God and I do not see eye to eye on things and I really before….he/she doesn’t want a s–t-disturber up there.

Dame Veronica

Dame Veronica Graunwolf

4 users thanked author for this post.
       Deborah Myers 
      Participant

As they say “You go girl”.   As for what god wants to have in his home, it is you, that he wants. You just need to find the right church, and yes it may be difficult but it is worth the wait. The support I get from my church in phenomenal. I walked in on a friend’s invite and it went well. I now belong to the ladies group and am involved in several other doings in church. My minister says nowhere in the bible does it say that god does not like you, he may want you to change in some way, but being transgender is not one of them. I am male to female and everyone asks about my progress and some even want me to talk and support transgender people they know. Yes, want me to tell young people what it means to transition and to support them. You should see me on dress day, I don’t have to but it is such a fantastic feeling to be ACCEPTED.  I hope this helps you because you do have worth to yourself and to those around you. Debra

3 users thanked author for this post.
       Danielle Fox 
      Participant

SILVER

That is fantastic Debra! Anyone who tells us that we do not belong in a church, because God would not want us, is full of BS! They are hypocrites and not a true Christian according to how God wants us to act. If they quote the Old Testament then they do not believe in Jesus and the new covenant he made with man nor the 10 commandments! “Love thy neighbor as thyself” is one of the oft stated tenets of the New Testament. As Jesus recounted the great commandments and it is actually number 2 and love is what Jesus preached and those hypocrites must not have paid attention in Sunday School. Sorry that is a sore point with me. In the Episcopal Church we had two divisive issues. One was that no female shall be a priest/pastor which I feel is absolute horse pucky. The second was that the  Bible and God/Jesus does not love LGBTQ people. I was so disappointed with my fellow parishioners when they left our church and went to a more conservative one. So I am so happy that you were welcomed into a loving church as it should be. Love ❤️ and hugs 🤗 💋👠

Danielle

Deborah Sim 
    Participant

FREE

When the doctor gave me my prescription for spironolactone, finasteride, and the estradiol patch, I was excited yet a little afraid. excited as I had waited for about 50 years for this dream to come true, and scared as I wasn’t sure how my friends and family would react.

As it turned out all my friends and most of my family were really great, some even saying that it was about time. I guess I wasn’t as good of actor as i thought I was.

Well I had a very bumpy emotional roller coaster ride but the doctor and I have found a pretty good level of hormones, but in that time I am sure there were many people that I must have nearly driven crazy. It has been almost 4 years and I have never felt better

Deb

Leslie Hall 
    Participant

FREE

Hi Ladies , i have been taking a over the counter hormone purchased from Wal-Mart on line. The instructions said to take 2 three times a day , i did and it made me feel a little strange and my seaman turned dark. This scared me so i just take 2 a day . Everything seems better and i feel wonderful . I feel this has helped me in my breast development as i now am an A to nearly B cup size , as i was flat chested before. I also use a cream on my  breast twice a day .I do feel that the hormones are helping , my skin i noticed is much softer and my voice is a lot softer and my body hair has thinned , it to is softer on my legs and easier to shave . I have noticed my mental has changed , i cry easier at sad things , sometimes i have to make myself stop. I have become more fem in my actions and my thoughts , this was my only action in this direction so far. I would love to go all the way , but the cost is huge , so i do what i can.

Cloe (CC) Webb 
      Managing Ambassador

MANAGING AMBASSADOR

we do not advocate over the counter solutions, particularly in th absence of oversight by a qualified MD.  Your experience with darkening of semen is very unusual and if it was still going on I would strongly advise you go see an MD.

Be carful with medications.  Many have paid the ultimate price for not having gone the clinical route

Danielle Fox 
    Participant

SILVER

Hello everyone,

Well, yesterday was my first counseling session for my gender dysphoria. It went well and I felt at ease with this counselor. We talked for awhile and I recounted my past from age 7 to present. I imagine over the next 4 or 5 sessions I will have recounted some things that I repressed and other things which I did not mention. She has a number of transgender and gender dysphoria patients and teaches a course to would be counselors on gender and transgender counseling. At the moment I feel positive and have been working out some bumps with my wife. I am hopeful for the outcome that I wish to have and my wife will be on the same page as I am by then. I am hoping to be able to do HRT but we will see what the future holds. I am hopeful, scared, apprehensive, anxious, and waiting for the other shoe to drop. Life seems slow to get where you want like walking in a swamp. You can’t see where you are stepping and where the dangers are it you keep moving forward all the while you see the alligators on the banks moving. Please just let me get to the first knoll and I will be so happy. I can’t see beyond the first knoll but I know there are more because the path on the map has been trod by so many hrs s souls before me. I just hope i never see the edge of the map because I know what it says. “Here there be monsters”! That would be the horrible thing those who have gone before know as the rejection. You will not progress to HRT you will love the drab life as the sex you were bore as. Could there be anything in this world worse than that? Maybe but it would be devastating. So I am hopeful, scared, apprehensive, anxious and waiting for the other shoe to drop. But I am also happy because I have taken the first step and it was a positive event. TTFN💋👠

Danielle

Cloe (CC) Webb 
    Managing Ambassador

MANAGING AMBASSADOR

I was given estradiol patches and the size was so big I was disheartened that the things would constantly fall off.   Because of this I knew I needed to go home.  The 10 min drive felt like a lifetime and was extended by having to stop and get my celebratory cupcake.  After spending an eternity reading the instruction booklet, I showered so my skin would be as receptive as possible to the adhesive.  The moment had come and in front of the bathroom mirror, I placed the patch on the back of my shoulder.  I twisted and turned to admire it.  It was my lifeline and was just never going to look good with an off the shoulder or open back outfit, LOL.  I then looked at the bottle of spiro pills and said to myself “girl, you’ve started and the doc assured you this is the right path.

It was cupcake time!

P.S.  I had to beg for different patches because the big ones constantly would loosen and fall off long before the expected 7 days.  Now I’m on ones about 1/4 the size and getting great results.

orrene marsh 
      Participant

FREE

How long have you been on HRT?  You say you were given estradiol … why estradiol instead of estrogen?  Is one better for you personally than the other?  Have you begun to develop breasts yet?  What is your plan for the time when your breasts begin to enlarge? I should ask if your nipples hurt or ache yet.  Do they?  Do you have a plan for bras to support your breasts?  Have you or anyone else found a very good brand name of a bra that you will enjoy living in?  Where do you find your lingerie?  Favorite store?  Do you have plans to go for a bra fitting?  Some lingerie stores ask that you call and speak to a manager and tell them you’d like to be fitted for a bra or bras.  I have been told that stores will have you come by after closing and you will have their staff help with your bra fitting.  Does anyone have experience to share regarding bra fittings?

1 user thanked author for this post.
       Cloe (CC) Webb 
      Managing Ambassador

MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Orrene,
      Thank you for your questions.  Estradiol is estrogen, but the right kind for me, which Ive been on since January ’18.  There have been many different types created over the years, some of which were quite dangerous having been derived from animals.  If you choose to go the HRT route make sure you read up on it and the other hormones you may be prescribed such a T blockers.  It will make your conversations with MD’s much more meaningful in developing a plan.  I do have breast development and have had itchy and tender phases, but never the outright growing pains some describe.  As far as bra’s are concerned, I just go to  Victoria Secret and ask for a fitting any time of day.

Leslie Hall 
      Participant

FREE

Hi Orrene ,1st , i cannot advise you on HRT only on bras,i haven’t started that  yet. To find my fit i went to a place called Thirdlove , they mainly sale bras. They  also have a program to walk you through a great fitting. Using there program i found my size to be a 38 B, you’ll be doing some measuring on your self.Their bras are very nice but a little costly, so i mainly shop on WalMart or Amazon. My fave one is Maidenform followed by Tripetals unpadded , these are my favorites.Good luck on your transformation, be the lady you were mint to be.Leslie

2 users thanked author for this post.
       Vanessa Law 
      Managing Ambassador

SILVER

That’s awesome! What a great story and start to the next step in your journey!

1 user thanked author for this post.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2018Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account