Whats in a name?

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Hello everyone, well my question is what is in a name?Β  To start off I will give my given name at birth, Tracyee Lynn Smith, now for me this name brought tons of unwanted jeering from kindergarden through middle school as you can imagine. Thats a girls name, you have two girl names. The others boys always delighted in pointing that out. By highschool i had adopted Trace, most of my friends had started calling me that by the end of middle school anyhow. Still along the way through life others would occassionally still find joy in pointing it out, as if I didnt already know my own name. A good friend of mine in the Army used to delight in it, until I told him yes Jason its a girls name. Much like your very own which is Hilary I believe on your records. Very pretty as well. That stopped the teasing, he was so embarressed and asked how i knew that. I said, I process all the clearances and have your records duh.</p>
      Anyhow, once I decided to start HRT I decided that Traci would be more appropriate. Just changing the spelling to make it fit me better. But now I am not sure if it fits me better or was just more convienent. New life, so should I go with a new name as well? Destiny perhaps, or maybe Traci is fitting.

I had chosen Cloe before I made my first online appearance, but with the Khloe Kardasian craze in full swing I swayed and went through a string of 3 or 4 other names before I finally decided nothing but Cloe fit.

Anonymous

Where’s the never option?Β  I’ve always been Stacey.

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Hi and it was my first attempt at a poll, my mistake and apologies Stacey.</p>

Marianne
      AMBASSADOR

Though I have yet not made a legal name change, l have used the name Marianne for my true self for many years and if I ever get to that point i wili surely become Ellen Marianne.

[quote quote=52586]Hello everyone, well my question is what is in a name? To start off I will give my given name at birth, Tracyee Lynn Smith, now for me this name brought tons of unwanted jeering from kindergarden through middle school as you can imagine. Thats a girls name, you have two girl names. The others boys always delighted in pointing that out. By highschool i had adopted Trace, most of my friends had started calling me that by the end of middle school anyhow. Still along the way through life others would occassionally still find joy in pointing it out, as if I didnt already know my own name. A good friend of mine in the Army used to delight in it, until I told him yes Jason its a girls name. Much like your very own which is Hilary I believe on your records. Very pretty as well. That stopped the teasing, he was so embarressed and asked how i knew that. I said, I process all the clearances and have your records duh.

Anyhow, once I decided to start HRT I decided that Traci would be more appropriate. Just changing the spelling to make it fit me better. But now I am not sure if it fits me better or was just more convienent. New life, so should I go with a new name as well? Destiny perhaps, or maybe Traci is fitting.

[/quote]
      I started out with and stopped at Jayne (just because I liked it!), added Sophie (after Sophie Scholl and the White Rose, the courageous WWII Nazi activists; she’s my fave heroine of all time!) and have kept my last name as “B” so the FBI can’t find me (yeah, good luck with that!) Here in the Land of Aus, you can get the names on your birth certificate changed whenever you want! It’s the next step in my transition and I will be able shred the pesky original. Was I a good girl for talking up? I can be a bit of a princess sometimes. Jayne Sophie B

I went through four different name changes, not legal ones, just ‘handles’.Β  I started with ‘Misha’ (as suggested by a CD friend), but I didn’t feel it.Β  I changed then to ‘Michelle’.Β  It worked well and many people in the neighborhood I lived in were used to calling me that.Β  But as I reached out in chat rooms and Internet social sites, I learned that ‘Michelle’ was over-used and often confused with others using it.Β  I then chose the name ‘Colleen’.Β  I kept it for a couple of years, as well and even people who knew me as Michelle went along with the change.Β  But I also went through a ‘dry’ period where I made no contact with anyone and I got into some serious trouble as well (that I would rather not discuss).Β  I dropped Colleen and did some name searching online.Β  I wanted something that was far from the others I used and wouldn’t be associated in any way to my legal name.Β  I found the name Meran which is a name used in Scandinavia and the middle east for both genders, and it’s easy to say and spell.Β  There are still some who say it wrong, but it rhymes with ‘Karen’.

I haven’t changed my name legally, I was born Jerry and it’s the name of my favorite guitarist so I just went with the variation Jeralyn. I still haven’t totally settled on it yet as there are a couple of other names that I really like as well. There are a couple of people I know who really like the name Jeralyn but I’ve also had a couple of other people tell me a couple of other female names that fit me.

Thanks Jeralyn, its a cute name and a variation/hybrid of your own personailty. I havent legally changed my sex or name yet. But because mine is just spelling, from a y to an i it isnt a rush for me at the moment. Perhaps I will go a totally new direction with a new name when I get there. Best of luck, hon.

Hugs Traci

I went most of my life without feeling that I needed a feminine name. By my late 20’s that side of me began emerging more, after a lifetime of self-loathing and fear at being “found out”. By then I had become more comfortable with me, and realized, I was a long way from being the only one who expressed different sexualities… this is actually a truism, always has been throughout mankind’s history, amongst all cultures. Time to end the ignorance!!

But I digress. In my early 30’s I used to go on a phone chatline and joke around to help me unwind after work. I used to chat with a delighful young lady by the name of, you guessed it… Stephanie.

I started by writing it Stephan/ie (misleading people to assume my given name was Stephan for a sense of privacy and safety) and finally, to Stephanie.

It has been a journey of baby steps, with the odd brilliant flash of insight. And I hope and trust we all continue to grow.

Stephanie xo

I took the name my mother told me would have been mine had I been born a a GG. Deep inside I’ve always been Elise.

1. I’ve been Josie since I started to transition tho my legal name will soon be Josephine Lillian Quintana

My female name has always been Brenda but when I filled out the application to change My male name to female, I did some soul searching. I had some good experiences as Brenda and some very bad experiences so I decided it was time for a change. Because my male first name is Bret and I wanted something that was similar in sound, I decided on Breanna. It was actually my life partners choice thinking it sounded cute and fit me and I agreed.

Anonymous

Choosing my forever name is something that I am really struggling with. It’s funny, as a young teenager i had a secret female name for myself and changed it a couple of times too. But that was a fantasy, and at that point I didn’t even know that trans was a thing and certainly not that i could do anything about it. Now that I have embarked on this self discovery journey in earnest, i realise those names sound far too religious to truly represent me. And that is the other part of my struggle, do i want a jewish name? a secular name? Or one that passes for both? Most people don’t choose a new name in the middle of their life, but maybe this journey is the start of a new one!

I was lucky to be given such as a fabulous name like Jaime Parris.Β  So, I don’t want to change it.Β  I am in the process of changing my middle name.Β  It’s a typical masculine name that I never liked.Β  It’s going to be Joan.Β  That name brings to mind a lot of strong women in the past like Joan of Arc.

I chose Anne before I went online to the various sites including TGH.Β  It just sounds so strong and feminine, yet so regal and dignified…like I would be a “Queen Anne”. πŸ™‚

I chose Preuss as a surname to honor my Prussian (not Russian) heritage.Β  I’m only second generation German-American.Β  My Prussian ancestors are probably rolling in their graves.

I got my name, Connie, from a good friend. We were dress up friends & her name was easy to do..Toni…..but my male name didn’t really work well, so we tried a few & Connie just clicked…is also short for Constance…..which I also use when in elegant lady mode…..giggles…..my classy persona….but usually Connie, happy, friendly & loving the girl life!

In the beginning of my journey I used many a different names. I asked my mother what my name would have been if I were born a female, she actually forgot she said. And I left it alone. So when my female persona was coming forward my wife mentioned it to a close friend of hers who happened to be a dominatrix. My wife sent me to her and the first thing she did was name me “Leanna” and it just fit. The “Lindsay” part was the last name of my wife when I met her.Β  When she changed her name back to her maiden name she told me that she wanted me to take Lindsay so we could be girlfriends and not sisters.

Leanna

i named my female side Lucinda.Β  the name of a real girl i had a crush on in school, she moved away before i could ask her out. so i took her name to remember her by. so Lucinda came into my life and the number is my ageΒ  in which i will not change the number each year i turn older. it was Lucinda 49 then Lucinda 56, i just thought it would be better to keep the number the same

First of all, I new here, so hi!

I have gone by initials (B.J.) as my name my whole life. I hate my first name; it’s my father’s name and never felt like mine. On top of everything, it’s almost impossible for people to pronounce correctly despite being only four letters long. It’s just the thing I have to put on forms for me. As initials are gender neutral and it never bothered me to be called by them (even with the double entendre).

So I picked a name that would allow people to keep calling me what they’ve always called me if they so choose, and it allows me to keep using it as a professional name.

I picked my first name because my cisgirl name would have been Rebecca. My first initial is β€œB,” so Becca. Pretty simple. Joan is my mother’s first name (ironically, she has never liked it and goes by her middle name). It has a nice flow, and sounds like a Southern girl’s name, and I am what I am.

Good question. i personally have never changed my name and i got it from three things, Firstly Fiona, well i have always loved the name and i always said if i had a daughter, she would be called Fiona. Secondly, Ann, that was the name of my first love and finally Moss, just think of Kate, my idol! hence Fiona-Ann Moss, simple eh? Hugs and love, Fiona xx

Unlike other people my name has nothing to do with other people it’s a sutanem derived from nature, Dawn being dawn of a new day, Autom being for the beautiful fall and Summers being for the rebirth of new life in summer. My first name came to me shortly after my reawakening like it had always been there and my middle and last name came to me several months later when I actually started to think about it the only thing I changed was summer to summers because like a friend said it just sounds better.

By for now

At first when I started doing this,, I really didn’t have a nameΒ until I started going out in,,Β public &,, being out & about I had noticed some people would ask me my name? Lol & I would answer them back by saying: I haven’t even thought of that hmm? & they said,,, I should think of 1,, so as some one else has mentioned it here having a crush on someone when I was younger it happened to be 1 of my sisters friend & she was beautiful/Hot,, a blonde nice figure πŸ‘ πŸ‘πŸ‘€ & I loved how she dressed & especially her shoes lol she wore open toe mules back than if I remember correctly? They were called candies? & of course she always had her toenails painted nicely out of all my sisters friends she was the most feminist looking girl & well now fast forward to really just recently I,,, felt as tho,, to change my name but not really knowing? Next,,, until I came across a new news channel that I started watching &,,,,, there she was I said: yes that’s my new name & by the way I might get a few eyebrows raised up by mentioning this lol πŸ˜† but that news channel is for republicans & I am a conservative believe it or not I am also such a different kind of transvestite with many different beliefs &,,, I get along with Every 1,,, I am & will be different just because we might not believe the same with our differences but that doesn’t mean we can put them aside & love & understand 1 another,,, peace +++ Kara πŸ‘ πŸ’•

Also a conservative here. I know it sort of goes against the grain in our community but shouldn’t we be about celebrating our differences?

There is a conservative transgender forum on MEWE. Also but it doesn’t have much traffic.

πŸ‘ I will definitely take a look at it & yes,,, you are right,,, thank you,, Kara & all the best 2U πŸ‘ 

Anonymous

My lady name bears no resemblance to my current male name. I actually went on a US government statistic site for the year I was born and looked up the top first names used. I chose two of those names to be my first and middle. My last name came after looking at a list of the 1000 most popular last names in the US. None of my choices were near the top of the respective lists, but came together nicely in my mind: Bethany Amber Parker. You can call me Beth or Bethany, but not Elizabeth. πŸ™‚

Seren
      FREE

This is difficult eh? You get to choose a whole new you, new (correct) gender, new outfits, new hairstyles….. but just one β€˜forever’ name??

I started with something that rhymed with my birth name, soon changed it, then changed it again (Seren is Welsh for star). My only social media act is now on its fourth name in 6 months. Does this get harder as one gets older?

Seren xx

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

My given name is Donald, but most knew me as Don.

Probably people would think that Donna made sense. I have nothing against that, but it did not seem to fit.

However, I have been a motorsports fan since I was a child. I remembered that Mario Andretti’s wife was Dee Ann. Sadly she passed away since I adopted her name. I decided to take the space out to encourage being called DeeAnn instead of Dee. That has worked to an extent.

I was a bit surprised that others in the lesbian community have similar spellings, but not exactly the same:

DeAnn
      DeAnne
      DeeAnne

What an interesting question! From a young age I’ve always imagined/preferred myself as a girl. I’m sure that in the early years that girl didn’t have a name but, as I got older and the thoughts got more developed, my female name has always been Rachel. I’ve no idea where the name came from though? I don’t remember any ‘Rachels’ in my life (the name pre-dates Friends by a long way!) But, I remember getting in trouble with my parents when they discovered me playing computer games as a female character called Rachel and that annoyed and upset me, like they were trying to take a bit of me away; at that moment I think I realised that Rachel was important to me and I don’t think I will never change that part of my name.

My surname was made up on the spot much later when I needed to fill in a sponsorship form for a neighbour who knocked on my door when I was fully dressed. It’s stuck with me as it’s a perfectly servicable surname and over the years I’ve got used to using it.

I don’t have a middle name though… I will have to give that some thought πŸ™‚

Rachel xx

Stacy Ann
      SILVER

Just once. The first time I attended a gender support group in 2015 and was asked to introduce myself, I just instinctively used a feminized version of my male name. I hadn’t given it any prior thought, and I immediately knew it was a mistake. It felt wrong. I went with it for a little while before I stopped going to the meetings altogether.

In May 2019 a couple of things had happened that made me realize I needed to fully address and acknowledge this aspect of myself to myself. I found TGH’s sister site online, Crossdresser Heaven. Before joining, I carefully made a list of names that I liked. Then eliminated the ones that made me think of people I knew. I took a full week to decide in order to make absolutely sure it was a name I wanted to stick with. In my teenage years I had a girlfriend with a two-part first name, and I always thought that was cute. I also thought “Stacy Ann” would be helpful in case there was someone else in chat named Stacy. “May” was chosen to commemorate the month I started, as well as being a tribute to the model Bettie Page, (her middle name was Mae.)

GenevΓ―Γ©ve‘….Β  was a character on the tv soap opera ‘The Young and the Restless’. I thought it was such a classy and feminine name.

How many times changed the name….Β  Zero.

Love

Gen ❀

when I was growing up my name was Robert and I couldn’t stand my name it just didn’t feel right and I didn’t know how to explain or was scared . I lived like that a long time so when I started to come out IΒ  asked to be called Bobbi it just seamed easier for friends and my family . I thought I would never tell my parents but I finely got the chance . They called one day and didn’t have water a 400 foot deep well I live over four hours away . The next morning I headed there way and fixed the problem and was the hero . So now I asked if I could take a shower and when I was done I came out as Bobbi . My sister and her husband where there and I told them my plan things wentΒ  good and they some what knew .Β  Every time I let someone in and tell or show who I am I feel the freedomΒ  Thanks Bobbi Waitt

My chosen name is the one my mother once told me would have been my name had I been born XX. Β Seems to me that there’s some sort of crazy karma going on here, and I’m pretty sure that if she knew she could finally have the girl she always wanted, she would no doubt be very pleased πŸ‘§

Haley is just my male name feminized. I never really even thought about it, but I can still remember that when I got my forms, wig, and some real clothing and looked in the mirror, I just knew her name was Haley.

I suppose it appears that I picked a “J” name because my birth name is also…it’s John. But in reality, in my teens, I dressed and looked at myself in the mirror. I’ve always had a very feminine body, but my ugly, hairy face…Ughh!! So..I looked at my hips and my belly and my fake bust, and I said “Hello Jessica..it’s very nice to meet you”.Β  I think it’s just who I knew she was..I can’t explain. But I know I was very happy in that moment, and my name has always been Jessica from that day. I won’t change it. It’s who I was supposed to be.

My name was Lisa for a while back in the early days of dial-up internet of the 1990s. This name was one I chose because my parents said to me once that if I was born a girl that my name would have been Lisa. And so I ran with that for a while.

But then Lisa just didnt feel right and so I switched to Jennifer around 2003 but this name while I liked people saying Jen just for some reason didnt stick with me.

Back in around 2005 I went with Melissa and had that name up until around 2019. This name just lost its luster.

I then was thinking of a name that really would be a name for me one that I wouldnt want to ever change and I was thinking Samantha and I can be Sam or Sammy for short. And what really sealed the deal for me to stick with Samantha was when my new relationship partner the one day without her ever knowing that I was thinking of the name Samantha for myself, she was like why do you go with the name Melissa and I was like well my friend across the street growing up her name was Melissa and I liked that name and she is the first girl who allowed me to being a girl and she allowed me to wear her dresses and play with her both of us in dresses at age 5 or 6 and so thats why and she said you look more like a Samantha and I was like…. WOW… thats interesting that I was thinking of changing my name to Samantha and so Samantha it is and its to stay from now on.

So onto my 4th and final name

Toni Floria
      HOSPITALITY CREW

I have grown up as Tony my whole life (from Anthony) Β that’s what I’ve always been called. When I started to realize my true self was being suppressed Β my other side kept trying to come out I finally let her free and now I am Toni and I love her

Ever since my childhood, I thought that Ashley was a very pretty and feminine name. It just felt like a natural fit for me on many levels, and I plan to legally change my name to Ashley in the coming year.

Lauren Mugnaia
      AMBASSADOR

Hi girls,

My mother actually gave me the name Lauren, it is already a feminine name, I had to endure a fair amount of teasing through my early and school years, but that was then, and now it fits perfectly! I did change my middle name to a feminine version.

hugs,

Ms. Lauren M

Michelle Lawson
        MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Me too Lauren. Well, sorta, kinda. Back when my mom was pregnant with me, they didn’t have all these newfangled medical imagining things; so you usually have a couple of names pre-picked, and use the one that fits. So, I was initially a 50/50 crap shoot. Now I’m a 100% me….. πŸ™‚

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Community Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Β©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?