Whats in a name?

How many times have you changed your name

When starting transition and choosing your female name, how many times did you change it?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • 3-5
  • 6-10
  • 11 or more
  • I’ve never changed it.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Traci Smith
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Hello everyone, well my question is what is in a name?  To start off I will give my given name at birth, Tracyee Lynn Smith, now for me this name brought tons of unwanted jeering from kindergarden through middle school as you can imagine. Thats a girls name, you have two girl names. The others boys always delighted in pointing that out. By highschool i had adopted Trace, most of my friends had started calling me that by the end of middle school anyhow. Still along the way through life others would occassionally still find joy in pointing it out, as if I didnt already know my own name. A good friend of mine in the Army used to delight in it, until I told him yes Jason its a girls name. Much like your very own which is Hilary I believe on your records. Very pretty as well. That stopped the teasing, he was so embarressed and asked how i knew that. I said, I process all the clearances and have your records duh.</p>
    Anyhow, once I decided to start HRT I decided that Traci would be more appropriate. Just changing the spelling to make it fit me better. But now I am not sure if it fits me better or was just more convienent. New life, so should I go with a new name as well? Destiny perhaps, or maybe Traci is fitting.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anne Preuss
      Participant

FREE

I chose Anne before I went online to the various sites including TGH.  It just sounds so strong and feminine, yet so regal and dignified…like I would be a “Queen Anne”. 🙂

I chose Preuss as a surname to honor my Prussian (not Russian) heritage.  I’m only second generation German-American.  My Prussian ancestors are probably rolling in their graves.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Jaime Parris
      Participant

FREE

I was lucky to be given such as a fabulous name like Jaime Parris.  So, I don’t want to change it.  I am in the process of changing my middle name.  It’s a typical masculine name that I never liked.  It’s going to be Joan.  That name brings to mind a lot of strong women in the past like Joan of Arc.

Maya Brooks
      Participant

SILVER

Choosing my forever name is something that I am really struggling with. It’s funny, as a young teenager i had a secret female name for myself and changed it a couple of times too. But that was a fantasy, and at that point I didn’t even know that trans was a thing and certainly not that i could do anything about it. Now that I have embarked on this self discovery journey in earnest, i realise those names sound far too religious to truly represent me. And that is the other part of my struggle, do i want a jewish name? a secular name? Or one that passes for both? Most people don’t choose a new name in the middle of their life, but maybe this journey is the start of a new one!

Brenda Leigh
      Participant

FREE

My female name has always been Brenda but when I filled out the application to change My male name to female, I did some soul searching. I had some good experiences as Brenda and some very bad experiences so I decided it was time for a change. Because my male first name is Bret and I wanted something that was similar in sound, I decided on Breanna. It was actually my life partners choice thinking it sounded cute and fit me and I agreed.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Josie Quintana
      Participant

FREE
      1. I’ve been Josie since I started to transition tho my legal name will soon be Josephine Lillian Quintana
      Elise Michelle
      Participant

FREE

I took the name my mother told me would have been mine had I been born a a GG. Deep inside I’ve always been Elise.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Tiffany Alexis
      Participant

FREE

In my mind, I’ve not thought of myself as anyone but Tiffany since I can remember. Alexis is the runner up, but a long way back.

Stephanie Jones
      Participant

FREE

I went most of my life without feeling that I needed a feminine name. By my late 20’s that side of me began emerging more, after a lifetime of self-loathing and fear at being “found out”. By then I had become more comfortable with me, and realized, I was a long way from being the only one who expressed different sexualities… this is actually a truism, always has been throughout mankind’s history, amongst all cultures. Time to end the ignorance!!

But I digress. In my early 30’s I used to go on a phone chatline and joke around to help me unwind after work. I used to chat with a delighful young lady by the name of, you guessed it… Stephanie.

I started by writing it Stephan/ie (misleading people to assume my given name was Stephan for a sense of privacy and safety) and finally, to Stephanie.

It has been a journey of baby steps, with the odd brilliant flash of insight. And I hope and trust we all continue to grow.

Stephanie xo

Jeralyn Smith
      Participant

FREE

I haven’t changed my name legally, I was born Jerry and it’s the name of my favorite guitarist so I just went with the variation Jeralyn. I still haven’t totally settled on it yet as there are a couple of other names that I really like as well. There are a couple of people I know who really like the name Jeralyn but I’ve also had a couple of other people tell me a couple of other female names that fit me.

Traci Smith
        Participant

FREE

Thanks Jeralyn, its a cute name and a variation/hybrid of your own personailty. I havent legally changed my sex or name yet. But because mine is just spelling, from a y to an i it isnt a rush for me at the moment. Perhaps I will go a totally new direction with a new name when I get there. Best of luck, hon.

Hugs Traci

Meran Berwyck
      Participant

FREE

I went through four different name changes, not legal ones, just ‘handles’.  I started with ‘Misha’ (as suggested by a CD friend), but I didn’t feel it.  I changed then to ‘Michelle’.  It worked well and many people in the neighborhood I lived in were used to calling me that.  But as I reached out in chat rooms and Internet social sites, I learned that ‘Michelle’ was over-used and often confused with others using it.  I then chose the name ‘Colleen’.  I kept it for a couple of years, as well and even people who knew me as Michelle went along with the change.  But I also went through a ‘dry’ period where I made no contact with anyone and I got into some serious trouble as well (that I would rather not discuss).  I dropped Colleen and did some name searching online.  I wanted something that was far from the others I used and wouldn’t be associated in any way to my legal name.  I found the name Meran which is a name used in Scandinavia and the middle east for both genders, and it’s easy to say and spell.  There are still some who say it wrong, but it rhymes with ‘Karen’.

Cami
      Ambassador

AMBASSADOR

Poll was closed. Now reopened.

Jayne Bennett
      Participant

SILVER

Hello everyone, well my question is what is in a name? To start off I will give my given name at birth, Tracyee Lynn Smith, now for me this name brought tons of unwanted jeering from kindergarden through middle school as you can imagine. Thats a girls name, you have two girl names. The others boys always delighted in pointing that out. By highschool i had adopted Trace, most of my friends had started calling me that by the end of middle school anyhow. Still along the way through life others would occassionally still find joy in pointing it out, as if I didnt already know my own name. A good friend of mine in the Army used to delight in it, until I told him yes Jason its a girls name. Much like your very own which is Hilary I believe on your records. Very pretty as well. That stopped the teasing, he was so embarressed and asked how i knew that. I said, I process all the clearances and have your records duh.

Anyhow, once I decided to start HRT I decided that Traci would be more appropriate. Just changing the spelling to make it fit me better. But now I am not sure if it fits me better or was just more convienent. New life, so should I go with a new name as well? Destiny perhaps, or maybe Traci is fitting.

I started out with and stopped at Jayne (just because I liked it!), added Sophie (after Sophie Scholl and the White Rose, the courageous WWII Nazi activists; she’s my fave heroine of all time!) and have kept my last name as “B” so the FBI can’t find me (yeah, good luck with that!) Here in the Land of Aus, you can get the names on your birth certificate changed whenever you want! It’s the next step in my transition and I will be able shred the pesky original. Was I a good girl for talking up? I can be a bit of a princess sometimes. Jayne Sophie B

Catherine Kingsley
      Participant

SILVER

I started a “Hillary” because I was in love with the sexretary of state Hillary, and wanted to have sex with her, but changed it to “Catherine” because I love  shop and wear Catherines plus sizes for women. Love it when a woman call me “Catherine” when Im dressed!!!!

Cami
      Ambassador

AMBASSADOR

Fixed your poll to add the no change response. Hope you don’t mind Traci xx

Cami
      Ambassador

AMBASSADOR

I haven’t really changed mine. I was born Cameron and changed it to Cami as I felt Cameron was a male name. I’m finding lately that I don’t mind it so much now. I do remember when I was younger Cameron Diaz appearing sort of helped. Not sure when that changed though. These days I prefer Cami but don’t get upset when called Cameron. It has been used on purpose  to miss gender me but I’m past that. Thanks for an interesting poll. I can’t vote though I guess.

Marianne Tornander
      Ambassador

AMBASSADOR - EDITOR

Though I have yet not made a legal name change, l have used the name Marianne for my true self for many years and if I ever get to that point i wili surely become Ellen Marianne.

https://transgenderheaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/woman-b14-2.jpgAnonymous

Where’s the never option?  I’ve always been Stacey.

Traci Smith
        Participant

FREE

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Hi and it was my first attempt at a poll, my mistake and apologies Stacey.</p>

CC Webb
      Managing Ambassador

MANAGING AMBASSADOR

I had chosen Cloe before I made my first online appearance, but with the Khloe Kardasian craze in full swing I swayed and went through a string of 3 or 4 other names before I finally decided nothing but Cloe fit.

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account