Reply To: What is your trans-birthday to you?

DeeAnn Hopings
AMBASSADOR

Yes, it does have significance for me. Although I had been out in public a number of times before, October 10, 2015 has particular significance for me. I had been a member of our LGBT employee affinity group for about 12 years. We hosted a free, open to the public event every October. We brought in entertainers from within the community. For example, we had Suzanne Westenhoefer twice, Margo Gomez, Alec Mapa and in 2015 we had trans man Ian Harvie. I took that as a golden opportunity. I volunteered to be Mistress of Ceremonies. At the next meeting, there were about 15 of us in attendance and I put it out there. There was a bit of a surprise as I had ever come out as transgender to them, but everyone was very supportive. Anyway, DeeAnn was the MC in front of about 130 people and all went well.

In the context of coming out, when I recall this story, I always tell people that I do not recommend this as a way to come out. It suited me as sometimes I have this “Go Big or Go Home” thing that bubbles to the surface. But, the important thing is that we must be comfortable with whatever we decide. It is not a One Size Fits All. It is a very personal thing.

Anyway, to the point of this thread, I often use October 10 as my birthdate for non-critical things.

I just noticed that I never posted a photo from that night. I will fix that!

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?