Reply To: Understanding the relationship between gender presentation and sexuality

DeeAnn Hopings
AMBASSADOR

Lufia:

There are a ton of variables surrounding our gender identities, our sexuality, our physical and emotional attractions and how they all interact with one another. As I think you know, there is a spectrum regarding our gender identities and, as trans people, we have the same range of sexual orientations that cisgender people have. While you pose an interesting academic question, I am not certain if it is a good use of ones time and energy to consider it. Just seems like it would not be a straightforward thing to sort out.

Anyway, I will make a couple of suggestions regarding terminology. TransgenderED has fallen from usage, even though you may still find it in a dictionary. Dictionaries always follow current usage, so with new or volatile descriptions, they will always be behind. What people have figured out is that transgenderED implies that something happened to make us transgender. This is not the case. As ones sexual orientation is inherent, so is our gender identity. It was always with us. Also, we don’t say gayED or lesbianED.

The references “genetic male” or “genetic female” have some built-in inaccuracies as it relates to intersex people. The thing is, while someone may clearly appear to be unambiguously male or female (including their genitalia), they may be intersex at the chromosomal level. In that case, there really wouldn’t be a “genetic” reference due to the ambiguity. In more recent times, people are using “Assigned Female At Birth” (AFAB) and similarly “Assigned Male At Birth” (AMAB)…

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?