Health and Nutrition

• This topic has 12 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Kirsten C
      FREE

I haven’t noticed one of the most important topics to me, and should be for all transgender people, which is personal health. Transition comes with some added risk due to the hormones and all the changes we go through. The stress on the liver. The heightened chances of clots and dvt. It’s all pretty scary to me.

I saw a poll online about 6 months ago that showed mtf trans women smoke in huge numbers. We are talking like 70%!! And that’s simply awful! With how much smoking alone raises your chances at clots, cancer, and so many other things, think about how high your chances are after adding hrt into the mix.

Or how about exercise. How many people exercise? My guess is not many. I belong to a couple of online trans forums and I’m always amazed at how few people actually exercise.

Or healthy foods. Do you eat healthy? Do you diet to lose weight and then stop at your goal only to put it right back on?

I know I did all of these things. I smoked, drank, smoked pot, ate like it didn’t matter, and NEVER actually exercised. I was active sure but not exercising. But pre transition I started to change all of this. Literally all of it. I quit smoking 2+ years ago. I started a Keto diet 18 months ago and lost 80 pounds in 7 months! (250 down to 170!!). I started exercising with my Beachbody workouts. And Shaun T beat me into submission. And then I started hrt 11 months ago.

About 2-3 months in after my first dosage boost, my body was having issues with the changes. Nothing major, but I had to stop the keto, and slow down my exercise. No more running. No more golf. Nothing in the sun. And I put on 20 pounds because of it.

Eventually I got past that and had to start all over. So this past New Years I jumped right back in. I started with a system called 21 day fix, it’s all about portion control. Then I started back with my Shaun t workouts. And I am still pushing hard with both. I’ve cut out 90% of my alcohol, I’ve lowered my cal intake to 13-1500 a day from nearly 2000, I exercise 6 days a week at 4am!! And honestly I feel amazing now!

My body looks so much more feminine. I have abs for the first time since college. I am finally back into the mid 170s for weight. And my energy is through the roof! But more importantly I have really lowered all of the medical risks that come with transition. I have even gone a step further now and I’m coaching a couple of people on their health and fitness as well!

My point being I know there is a lot of things that change and move. There are a lot of things that can be considered more pressing than your eating and exercise habits, but those two things are so important. They literally make every other aspect of life better. I implore everyone to really step back and take a look at your overall health. If you see problems, start changing them. It is hard to start, but it gets easier. And if you need any help reach out to me. I am always happy to help a fellow transitioner. (Idk the terminology for that. Haha)

stay healthy and happy everyone!!

Kirsten

Thanks, Kirsten, for mentioning how you achieved your better health and your fabulous glow! I’ve been trying to get all of this going. You’re an inspiration! I’ll def check out the Keto diet. 😋

Kirsten C
        FREE

Thanks Dasia.

I’ll  tell you keto is a great way to drop a lot of pounds. But it’s a difficult lifestyle. I use portion control and exercise now and it’s been great. 6 weeks of using the silly little colored cups really helped me change my eating habits. I’ve been done with the cups for 2+ months now and I still eat just about the same as when I was using them. It helped me see what I should be eating. And how much of it as well. Now it’s just life. There’s no diet. There’s no off limit foods. There’s just healthy food in good quantities. With plenty of what most people call “cheats”. But for me it’s just life at this point. Some days you do eat pizza or greasy foods. But that’s no big deal. Just stay moderate with the junk, and it’ll all work out.

Sadly I asked my GP and Endo at the trans clinic about these subjects when I started HRT and rather than encouraging a healthy lifestyle, they just said no, nothing to adjust for HRT.  Not that I have a good regimen, but still thy could have talked about decreasing calorie needs and how necessary muscle tone would become.

I agree, Cloe, it is sad how very little help transgender people get! I asked my doctor about it once. It’s related to there being so few of us, so it’s not a major concern to society, and also that because there’s so few of us there’s little to no money in doing the research, in promoting help for us and so we’re left with next to nothing but our own will to get through it. The ironic part is that we need to be really healthy in order to medically transition but the social transition is so undersupported and/or downright taboo that in dealing with all the transphobia so many of us turn to booze, drugs, food, becoming anti-social, we lose our jobs and education opportunities…of all the groups of people on this planet we’re probably in the most need of focused help on our health.

Without getting too political, the cost of not covering what we need is higher than what we do need, but the opposite is what is covered by most insurances.  Yet we persist.

Ah yeah ah yeah we persist! The    Survival instinct is powerful.

Kirsten C
        FREE

I think this is pretty typical. But in my limited experience it’s so important. From physical changes to mental as well. It’s a real confidence boost for me.

I am well beyond just active and healthy at this point but it’s really a necessity for my coaching. I need to do my best to motivate my girls. And they do the same for me.

If you’re still not truly taking care of yourself, you should. Everything gets easier. You’ll feel so much better on a daily basis. And a year from now when you’re 3-4 dress sizes smaller I don’t think you’d have a bad thing to say.  Since Jan i am down 25 pounds as of today and I went from a 12/14 to a solid 8! But truly the mental changes are the biggest changes for me. So much more confidence. Truly.

I actually lost 30 pounds on Keto when I first started exploring myself, sadly we couldn’t afford to stick to it and I gained it all back.  And my wife has been doing Beachbody on and off again for years.  I’ve actually done a couple of the workouts, I’d like to start one and commit to it.

Kirsten C
        FREE

Tory it will truly change your life if you stop thinking about it and just make the time. The daily push of endorphins has amazing effects on your mental health. And the physical results are really nice too. I can’t even tell you how positive it’s been for me. I’m even a coach now! I love my Beachbody lifestyle. And I truly love myself so much more. And I look so much more feminine now.

Kirsten C
      FREE

If you’re interested in my health and nutrition journey, follow me on IG. There’s plenty of transition stuff too. @kirsten._cronin

I post a lot there. It’s new to me but I am liking it a lot. And it’s all very real and true. Or feel free to message me here and I’ll help how I can. I love helping and motivating people. It’s my true passion. Now if I can just get my wife on board. Lol. She tells me I’m a bit much at times. 🤷🏻‍♀️ What are ya gonna do rite!!? I love my muchness.

Hey ya, Kirsten!

I really love reading your posts! You’re positive, helpful, kind and wise. If I were your neighbor in the real world I’d want to hang with you.

So I checked out your Instagram. You have some incredible ones, showing some sweet progress and…you look all look so happy. Lovely!

I’m doing portion control of nearly entirely healthy omnivore foods. Lately I’ve been planning to switch back to raw vegan foods at least majority speaking. I did that way of eating for 7 years. It makes me feel like you look in your pics. BOOM-BASTIC! The Keto diet, hmm, looks expensive and myeah. I think the Raw vegan way would taste better.

I have GrrrrrrrEAT NEWS! I’ve been getting mildly, yet consistently, misgendered and preached down to by Fox News at Planet Fitness since 12/18. Today I asked them to change their ways. They wouldn’t so I QUIT, yeahhhh!!! Felt awesome to make my stand. I found a Trans and Queer fitness program close by run by Trans men. It’s 6 days a week and FREE. I’ve also been training for going pro next year in the PDGA. Professional Disc Golf Association. I hear they’re looking for more women and misgendering ain’t a thang!

Laters,

Dasia

Anonymous

Hello Kristen, back to the original question.  I have asked myself that very same question.  Why are we as a community not being healthy.  I am no health nut my self but I do try and eat ok and exercise once in a while.  My only guess at the answer to smoking and self destructive behavior by our sisters and brothers is that we are in pain and we need release. Unfortunately smoking in it self is a drug that calms you and makes you feel better.  Drinks do the same.  Overeating does too.  Luckily exercise does too.  This is no excuse however.

Personally I think fad diets are not the answer to this question.  Do not get me wrong I have known plenty of people who lost weight on the Keto one and many others. Education on living healthy on HRT is a good first step, but that does not get to the root.  Body dysmenorrhea goes hand in hand with gender dysmenorrhea, and it is just another step or hurdle that we as trans people have to cross. I wish dealing with this step would be added to the rest of the list like changing your name, living 1 year as a the correct gender, etc.

Miriya

BTW check out the 7 Minute Woman workout app for the phone.  This is my go to for the last few months.  I simply love it.  💕

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Community Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?