How do I officially start the process?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Lufia
      FREE

I am a 40 year old MTF trying to figure out where to go next. I currently live with my mother and brother, and do not have the financial means to live alone at this time, though I am currently working on that. I have known that was trans since I was a young child. I guess I technically began the process decades ago, but I have yet to actually “come out”, due to my financial situation, as well as the fact that I live in a house full of Trump loving Republicans. I rarely wear any men’s clothing other than shoes anymore, but I don’t wear anything that is blatantly obvious in front of my family. They are aware that I wear bras and panties and I do wear leggings in front of them, but I generally try to choose items that can pass for men’s clothing when I am around them. They simply assume that I am gay, and I have never really spoken openly about the topic with them. I would like to be able to live openly around them and actually be able to wear a skirt every once in a while. I feel that it is time to “come out” so that I can begin to build a new life for myself. What is the best way to approach it with them. My mom will not approve of it, but I think she will accept it in time. I have gradually begun living more openly so that it will not be a complete shock to them, but is there anything I can do to make it easier on them? I have spent a lifetime dealing with it, so I know how difficult it is, and I am trying to keep them in mind as I begin the process.

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

Lufia:

Many members here have found it helpful to work with a therapist who has experience in gender issues as it is very difficult for us to think about potentially life altering issues on our own.

I also suggest doing some online searching for LGBT resources in you area. The Greater Memphis area is a significant metropolitan area so I suspect that there are trans resources in terms of support groups and mental health services. It’s not unusual that mental health services are offered for free or based on income level by LGBT community centers.

Anyway, what a mental health professional will do is help you understand what’s going on for you, help you stay focused on what needs to be thought about and help you sort out next steps. There is no cookbook way of doing this as every case has factors that makes it unique.

Dee Astra
      FREE

I’m going to echo the previous replies, No.1 before anything else, get a gender counselor / therapist

One thing I did was (after finding a therapist I liked) was to do some “stealth” things to help me with my dysphoria. Clear mascara, nail polish, underdressing, hair removal, voice practice. At least for me these helped relieve some of the dysphoria.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Advice for Transitioning’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?