I need serious help, UK transition 3 year waiting list.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hi all,

This is mainly for anyone in the UK who is transitioning or has already transitioned. Anyone who could offer help would be really appreciated.

I had my first doctors appointment this morning to get referred to the Gender Identity Clinic (GIC), and turns out the waiting list just to get diagnosed with gender Dysphoria (which is not a mental illness) is 3 years long. Is there anyway to speed up this process bearing in mind I’m on a low income. I honestly don’t think i can wait that long, i feel like my worlds been flipped upside down considering this morning i was so excited to see the doctor.

Any help would be appreciated

Lydia xx

Anonymous

You aren’t along in this . I don’t live in the UK and not sure if you are making a full transition , but if you are waiting for HRT you can start taking supplements  ( plant base ) They do work well and your family doctor can monitor you . DO YOUR HOME WORK ON THIS . Just don’t buy anything . You can buy these at any local health food store or drugstore . Going with any government or medical is a long waiting period . Only other way is making a trip over seas for the bottom surgery , but this is costly and now you still need to have a doctor to sign off on this . Since you are low income there isn’t any other option . Sorry hun , but there is no way to speed this up . I live in Canada Alberta and the waiting list here is even longer . Some girls have to wait up to 7 years . I really feel for them because its not fair . Others many have other solutions for you .

Hang in there !

Alexis

Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Lydia, there was another member on, last night I think, from the UK, Sophie Linton, that was discussing her frustration with the same thing relating to the long wait in the UK. I’m just wondering why the long wait, and what are the local transgender support organizations saying about it. Even if it the wrong explanation, the NHS should have some reason or explanation. Being in the US, we have our own set of totally outrageously stupid rules. So you aren’t alone dealing with stupid. Hope you the best, Michelle

I didn’t think Canada and the UK were that different in this regard. I mean, I’ve had to wait for months to actually see someone in person but there’s been plenty of work done over the phone to move the process along. Blows my mind they don’t have something like this as well.
      I am sorry this is the position you are in.

Anonymous

[postquote quote=115568]

Rei , I transitioned in 2006 , our program back then was much far better then what our government offers now .

For me it was a year and half , would have been sooner but one of my appointments was cancelled and had to rebook . I’m friends with the lady who process everyone’s paper work and the waiting list over 700 and growing . Our government keeps making cut backs and takes our resources away . It sucks here in Alberta for getting the care we need . I’m not sure what it’s like Manitoba but I can imagine it’s the same there .

Alexis

When i came out to my friends, it was because internally I’d resigned my will to live. This gave me incentive to come out and tell my closest friends, at the end of the day how could anyone make me feel any worse. My friends were so accepting it filled me with such energy to continue and actually make the change, things were moving forward. 3 years is far too long just to get diagnosed with something i already know i suffer with.

It annoys me because i know a ciswoman can walk straight into the doctors and ask for HRT just because she feels bloated or not feminine enough. I’m just as much a woman as she is, i just have different sex organs which is the main cause of my dysphoria. Looking down makes me physically ill. I would love to take matters into my own hands and take supplements Alexis,but my main concern isn’t the HRT, it’s the bottom surgery. Things are really tough mentally for me right now, however I’m looking into every avenue to get this shortened otherwise i really fear for my own sanity.

Anonymous

[postquote quote=115643]

Well Lydia , you will have a very hard time if it’s only bottom surgery you are seeking . You won’t be able to go for surgery without being on HRT first and when you do see a therapist there is still a long waiting list before you go for surgery . The World Health Org are the ones who set the stand for our care and nations follow this somewhat . Taking some type of estergon will help relax the mind and calm you done on this . If you don’t what supplements then eat foods high in est such as soya sauce . When we relax our minds it helps with the dysphoria . Won’t fully take it away but it helps managing life a lot better .

I really wish there was more I could help you and give you a big hug .

Alexis

Sorry Alexis, I should have been more clear. I didn’t mean its the only thing i want. I clearly understand that i need to be on HRT for set amount of time before i can be considered for surgery, and i want the HRT to feminise my body and my emotions. My concern is the three year wait is pushing everything back, it could be 5+ years minimum before i can even deal with the thing that is killing me inside, even though i know what needs to be done its really not fair.

Rebecca
            FREE

I’m in a similar situation also in the UK, having just spoken with my GP who has (I hope) added me to the 41-month waiting list for a clinical appointment in Newcastle. However in the meantime we have to place our feelings in context. In many nations, being openly trans is grounds for arrest and imprisonment. There is a global pandemic in which millions of poorer people have lost their lives and many millions more have lost someone they love. Here in the UK, the NHS is under pressure to be privatised which means public funding for gender identity treatment is a low priority and will probably decline without a change of government.

As trans people, we cannot regard our needs above the many other people who have more pressing concerns. Let’s see ourselves as fortunate.

You have a good way of putting things into perspective and you definitely are not wrong in what you say. However, i will say that my entire life i have put others before me in every aspect and have never asked for anything in return. The movie “Pay it forward” was a big inspiration to me as a youngster. I never really valued my own life so why not try to make a difference to someone else’s. I just feel it’s bad timing on my part to come out, the one time i want something more than anything.

I have accepted the fact things aren’t going to happen as fast as i want them to but i am still exhausting every avenue that i can to push things forward. I am currently exploring private treatment, although the practices I’ve been in touch with have all closed their waiting lists through too much demand.

I’ve come out socially now and have just procured a new job under my true identity, changing my name deed poll and living general life as the woman I’m supposed to be. I’m hoping this will lessen the effects of my dysphoria and allow me at least some pleasure in life. My new job has an added benefit of free counselling which will be of great use to me.

I thank you all for sharing your replies, advice and personal difficulties within this matter and i wish you all the best in what lies ahead, but always remember, just because others suffer doesn’t lessen our own suffrage and we shouldn’t be ashamed to ask for help.

Anonymous

[postquote quote=115652]

Yes it’s not fair and it does cause us a lot of unnecessary stress in our lives but in the meantime use this to find and learn more about yourself and you will find that time flies . This is a long life journey which never ends you have lots of time so slow down your thoughts and enjoy the journey . If you ever want to chat you are more then welcome to send me a PM anytime .

Alexis

Hi Lydia, perhaps too old a post to reply too…I’ve just seen it. I’m in the UK and know your plight only too well. Gender dysphoria is deemed a mental issue, according to my doctor and given a higher priority because of that. As for referral appointments, age has an impact on waiting lists. I don’t know where the you heard 3yrs as Exeter does not give any indication of waiting times, I’m assuming you mean Leeds as your nearest centre? Private is an option, expensive but not unachievable. I’m reading between the lines of other members comments, they are pointing you in a sound direction…without giving details. Phytoestrogens can help, along with natural t-blockers…perhaps more correctly t-reducers. Soya has been debunked by the way as being of any help, new research has shown. Do your homework…there are things you can do and the psychological help and comfort will give you strength and focus. I wish I could offer more advice but that is not appropriate here. Google, Google and ask…there is a lot you can do.

Hey Alex,

Thanks for your response, yeah it is a little late, but means a lot all the same. When I wrote this I never thought I’d have strength to one out socially without HRT but I have and I’m all the happier for it. I live permanently as a woman now and am in the process of getting my legal documents changed into my new name and gender 🙂

I have my first appointment with gender care on the 4th Oct as I figured out I could go private and do shared care with my doctor.

I’m in a seriously better place right now and I’m actually enjoying life for once.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Advice for Transitioning’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?