National Center for Transgender Equality

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

At Keystone I had the opportunity to chat with the Executive Director of NCTE. I have become somewhat of a liaison with them to help us all out here on TGH. And transgender related policies and laws are what NCTE is all about. Okay, well it is one of the things anyway….. But a real important thing we can all do in helping form the various laws and policies out there, is to participate in the;

The 2022 US Trans Survey: https://www.ustranssurvey.org/

Check the link and sign the pledge to take the survey when it comes out in in Mid-May. Make your voices heard.

NCTE Website: https://transequality.org/

Sign up for the mailing list so you can keep up to date with what is going on. Don’t be the last to know about the progress the community is making.

NCTE YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/NationalCenterforTransgenderEquality/featured

Check out all of the videos NCTE has to offer. Just because you don’t live in the US is no reason not to watch them. There is a wealth of information right in front of your eyeballs.

Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

We know that trans people have always existed. But as we push for greater acceptance and support for our LGBTQ community, we’re seeing major change – and we couldn’t be happier. Brand-new research from Pew has confirmed that more than four in ten adults in the U.S. know a transgender person. And over 5% of adults under 30 identify as trans and/or nonbinary!  

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

Very specifically, the number of people who know a trans person is directly related to the numbers of people who have come out. That’s what makes coming out so important. There is a Pew Research Center study from 2016 that found about 30% in the US knew a trans person. It isn’t that there are suddenly more trans people in the last 6 years. They have just become more recognizable as such.

That same study from 2016 found that 87% of the people in the US knew a gay man or lesbian. Owing to sheer numbers, we probably won’t get anywhere near that, but hopefully the numbers will continue to grow…

Michelle Lawson
        MANAGING AMBASSADOR

You nailed that one DeeAnn. The more the world sees of us, the more they will come to know us as the wonderful people we are. Are there bad apples? Yes, yes there are. But show me any group that doesn’t have their fair share of bad apples. So, we should all put our best foot forward and show the world who we really are. Hugs, DeeAnn

DeeAnn Hopings
          AMBASSADOR

Going back in history, there was the sentiment about keeping women barefoot and pregnant. That made it very difficult for women to gain any sense of independence. If the circumstances don’t allow much for education and personal development, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that women are, in fact, inferior.

For many trans people, if just existing day to day is a supreme struggle, there clearly won’t be much left over to lend towards volunteer work, charitable work or civic involvement. Basically, the folks working against us win as we are left with either a bad or non-existent reputation.

Anyway, it’s another reason that folks who do have some time and energy left over to participate in things that the non-LGBT community does. It’s our community and country too!!

Lauren Mugnaia
      AMBASSADOR

This is a very interesting topic that presents itself to me at this time. I am the site supervisor for security at a British Columbia Government Ministry Building. Three months ago I came out to the people in the building that I was transgender, told my story, and said I wished to transition while at my job. The response was 100% in favor of my doing that and since that time I have been working there as a woman named Lauren, pronouns she and hers. I’ve had so many people come up to my desk, telling me that they shared my story, that it had a profound effect on someone, and that it needs to be shared with more people. Lately I’ve had more people tell me that I am “being watched and followed by many”, that I am a role model for a transgender woman. I am in a very visible position where I work, seeing and being seen by hundreds of people each day. I greet each one of them, which often leads into a conversation asking how things are and how am I doing. I am actively participating as our Trans Ambassador during Pride Month.
      On Monday I received a call from a university professor who is the curator of “The Transgender Archives at the University of Victoria” which is the “largest transgender archive in the world”. The collection is located at the University of Victoria. He wants to meet with me and possibly do an interview. He says I am in a very unique position as a favorably viewed and active trans woman in a very visible public location. I had always planned on being “out and proud”, and a public voice and example of what a trans woman is and what she can do. I don’t know where this is going to take me next, but it is certainly becoming an interesting time.

hugs,

Lauren M

DeeAnn Hopings
        AMBASSADOR

Go With The Flow!?!?

Michelle Lawson
        MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Lauren, I love that story. ‘Your’ story. And from what I gather in the stuff you have posted here at TGH, you definitely fit the bill of someone that can be looked to as a role model. You sure have my vote. But, on a more ‘selfish’ vein, we have 79 places listed for British Columbia in our Local Places directory. And since I do love doing that, I sure would welcome some more. Hint, hint… LOL Especially if you have a link or info on the Archives. I bet there is a trove of good reference info that is universal enough to be of benefit to others. So bring it on, and please keep shining that beacon. Hugs, Michelle

Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Looks like the 2022 Trans Survey is finally getting rolled out…..

We’re beyond excited to share that the 2022 U.S. Trans Survey will launch in mid-October!

We couldn’t have gotten to this point without your support. Now we’re counting on you to help us make this the largest EVER survey of transgender people in the United States. ”

• The US Trans Survey is conducted by the National Center for Transgender Equality, the nation’s leading social justice advocacy organization winning life-saving change for transgender people, in partnership with the National Black Trans Advocacy Coalition, the TransLatin@ Coalition, and the National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance. The survey is conducted by a team of well-respected researchers, guided by a prestigious scientific advisory council who are experts in trans research.

• For the first time in 7 years, you have a chance to be part of the largest community-led survey of trans people in the US. We hope you’ll take 60 minutes to share your story and be a part of history. By sharing our stories, we can help show people how they can support transgender equality.

• In 2015, 28,000 people took the US Trans Survey. This year, 30,000+ people have already pledged to take it. We are hoping to collect the largest, most diverse sample that includes BIPOC folks, older people, those who live in rural areas, immigrants, Spanish speakers, those who are HIV+ and more. The USTS fills in some of the large gaps in research about trans and nonbinary people, and it is the study of record for the National Institutes of Health.

Michelle Lawson
        MANAGING AMBASSADOR

The 2022 Trans Survey starts October 19th. Mark your calendar. Sign up to pledge to complete the survey so we can be heard and counted! Michelle

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

As a piece of information, for some reason the sign up process does not seem to be very iPad friendly. I exited and restarted the sign up 3 times, but it made no difference. Ultimately I did the sign up on my Hackintosh.

11” iPad Pro (Gen 3), iOS 15.5 (current is 15.6)

Michelle Lawson
        MANAGING AMBASSADOR

DeeAnn, thanks for the heads up. I forwarded the issue to NCTE for them to look at. Michelle

DeeAnn Hopings
          AMBASSADOR

It was sort of an odd failure. It put the material up, but I couldn’t interact with it. I couldn’t select anything and nothing would light up. Strange…

Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Just 5 days away until the release of the 2022 U.S. Trans Survey!

Here are some things to know about the survey:

• The survey will launch on October 19th and stay open until November 21st.
      • NCTE will be holding a launch party live on Facebook at 12pm EST on October 19 to answer all your questions about the survey, hear from leaders in the trans community, and celebrate this historic moment. We invite you to join us!
      • Later that evening from 6pm-8pm EST, NCTE is hosting a USTS Phone Bank to call each person who has pledged to take the survey to let them know the survey is now LIVE!
      Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

The 2022 US Trans Survey is live as of this morning. So take some time to make your voice be counted and heard……

https://www.ustranssurvey.org/?emci=99cd66b7-764b-ed11-819c-002248258e08&emdi=c653a80c-cf4b-ed11-819c-002248258e08&ceid=10223835

I did my part yesterday and filled out the survey. I hope that plenty will do the same and the results will be good for all of us.

Shiloh Rose 🌹

Michelle Lawson
        MANAGING AMBASSADOR

Shiloh, great idea. Everyone that took it should post that they did as well. I took it yesterday. Michelle

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

Completed last night…

Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

The U.S. Trans Survey closes on December 5. If you’re trans and haven’t gotten a chance to take the survey, we encourage you to do so today so your voice can be heard!

We want to let everyone know who trans people are and what we experience living in the United States. We are seeking thousands of trans people nationwide to give about 60 minutes of their time to take our survey. By taking the survey and sharing your story, we can build more understanding of the trans community at this time when so many of us are misunderstood.

https://www.ustranssurvey.org/

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

It doesn’t appear that they are attempting to estimate head count. From their site:

“The USTS documents the lives and experiences of trans people in the U.S. and U.S. territories.”

“The USTS is the main source of data about trans people for the media, educators, policymakers and the general public, and covers health, employment, income, the criminal justice system and other aspects of life.”

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

As a follow on, I reviewed the 2015 Executive Summary. I didn’t find any evidence of counting the trans population. Their results are based on the relative count of those who participated in the survey. A result reads:

• One in ten (10%) respondents who were out to their immediate family reported that a family member was violent towards them because they were transgender.

”respondents” is the key word. It is a comparison within those who took the survey.

The 2,000,000 stems from data from the Williams Institute, which is a part of the UCLA School of Law. Their estimate of the trans population, released in 2016, was that we were .6% of the population. Applied to a US population of 330,000,000 results in about 2,000,000. However, a number that appears most often is about 1,400,000 which is the adult population.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Transgender Policies and Laws’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?