Purists…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

I will admit that I am definitely a Purist in some respects. I define it as something that has sufficient significance for me such it has natural boundaries that relate directly to how I live my life. They are things that satisfy on some deeper level. I didn’t necessarily set out to do this, but I recognized it in hindsight. Sometimes, it also seems to relate to simplicity. To look at that another way, complexity is something to be avoided if at all possible.

So, what comes to mind for me is:

• Cars: My MINI is my 8th car. None of them had an automatic transmission. 3 pedals and 2 feet? No problem! I have been a car person since childhood, but perhaps it is the idea of having a machine do what you want and when you want it to happen. Maybe it might have something to do with control?!?!
      • Coffee: For about 10 years now, I have been grinding my own beans. My wife commented once that coffee making seemed to be a ritual for me. After I thought about it, I think she was correct. Basically, if you carry out the steps as they should be done, you are awarded this Magical Elixir! As an aside, I really don’t like flavored coffees. No hazelnut, no vanilla, etc., just a touch of Half & Half. Simplicity!
      • Liquor: I’ve never been one for mixed drinks, such as Martinis, Daiquiris, etc. A good quality Scotch and some ice is all I need. I think the idea is to taste the Scotch and not the things that one might put in it.

So, these are things for which I will welcome no compromise.

What are yours?

Michelle Lawson
      MANAGING AMBASSADOR

DeeAnn, it isn’t often I find myself reading and re-reading a post. Sometimes it is from my being confused about the meaning, others it’s about garnering a better understanding, and spurring some thought. Your post falls into the latter.

I don’t find myself being a purist in the sense of broader things. More of a purist with individual things. If I’m cutting bananas for cereal, I want them just so thick and laid out somewhat evenly. If I’m laying out a circuit board, I want the chips placed in a certain order so the wires can be run a certain way. When I start my day, I have a certain order in which I do things (ie. make your bed first thing).

So, I guess in a way, there is a degree of ‘purity’ in my actions. It gives me a sense of order to things in my life. And in a big way, a sense of peace in the things that help stabilize me. And that is good. Hugs, Michelle

Lauren Mugnaia
      AMBASSADOR

Hi DeeAnn,

I have to laugh, LOL 🤣 Yes, I am definitely a purist when it comes to many things.

Coffee: Fresh whole dark roast beans, ground using a hand grinder with the proper burr adjustment just before use, made with a Bodum French press, pouring just boiled water and timed for 5 minutes precisely!

My car lust has always been pretty cars, all with 5 speed stick on the floor. They were all Italian, Fiats and Alfa Romeo’s. I don’t own a car anymore, but I can recognize the sound of an Alfa starting and it’s still beautiful music!

I used to be a chef years ago and had my own restaurant, so there are many foods that MUST be “just right” or they’re not edible.

Making my bed is almost an art form, it has to be perfect or we start over. LOL

I am an artist and if I see a picture is hanging crooked it will drive me crazy, I’ve been known to straighten other peoples pictures and have even done so in art galleries when nobody was looking.

Maybe we’re all a little OCD??

Big hugs,

Ms. Lauren M

Michelle Lawson
        MANAGING AMBASSADOR

I’m not thinking OCD. But more of a deep sense of appreciation for things being right and orderly in our world, and with a hint of respect for what we have. Maybe with a dash of Zen. At least from what I have seen of the calm order in a Zen garden. Michelle

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

Interesting discussion! I think there may be a touch of OCD. But, the reason that I say “touch” is that I would think it would manifest itself over many, many activities if that were the case. For me, I know that I do have that, but it feels like the activities that I mentioned come from a different place.

For me, I think the simplicity and elegance is a major part of how I view things. To some degree, that probably relates to my engineering background, but I suspect that the initial part started well before college.

Lauren, I also use a burr grinder, but it is a motorized variety! Anyway, my progression was from stove top clear Pyrex percolators to French Press to pourover to a vacuum coffee maker. I often look for coffee varieties that I haven’t tried before, so it is common for me to have 6-8 varieties on hand across medium, medium-dark and dark roasts. The problem with the Pyrex percolators is that you decide when it is done by the color. However, across different roasts you get somewhat different coloring. You can make very good brews with it, but the problem is consistency across different varieties.

Ultimately, what I’ve found is that the vacuum coffee maker is the most consistent as the human interaction is limited. Measuring the water and coffee right and doing an appropriately course grind is about it. The only other variable is making sure to remove the pot from the stove when it just starts to bubble in the upper globe. While the physics may be a bit complicated, the usage is simple and elegant. Works for me!

Dear DeeAnn.
      I’m with you on your three points.
      1. I’ve had 3 pedal cars for most of my life. Two of my favorites: a Chrysler LeBaron convertible in the first year of production (1989). It was a 6 speed turbo. Got rid of it when repairs became too expensive. The other, a 2001 Mercedes Benz SLK 320 (a retractable hard top) with a 6 speed V6. Many MB dealers didn’t know such a vehicle existed. Had 65000 miles on it when I donated it to the Salvation Army in Oct. The drive train was great but needed repairs would have been costly.
      3. Good liquor (translation – expensive) is one of my passions. I like them all. For years I was a single malt Scotch and had as many as 35 different expressions in the cabinet. When the prices started getting to high for my budget I found good bourbons to be very palatable. I also really enjoy a good Irish or rye. Good gins are also high on my list – cold from the freezer with a cube or two. I’m not a snob though. My daily drink is typically from a $10-20 bottle, over ice with water. I don’t understand why anyone would waste good money by drinking expensive spirits with mixers that mask the taste of the spirit, e.g. bourbon and coke, gin and tonic, dirty martini, scotch and milk.
      3. I love black coffee, and would happily prepare it using my own beans. I just found I never had the time to grind and then clean up. I just go with prepared coffee that has a good flavor. I don’t like Starbucks.
      I guess I somewhat carried away. Sorry.
      Bobbie

DeeAnn Hopings
      AMBASSADOR

While we all have things that we like or don’t like, I think what comes with being a purist is the specificity of our choices. There is a distinct line in the sand for us. Further, it often seems to be a very simple, basic approach.

I am reminded of a line from old westerns: “The Old Ways Die Hard”.

I suspect that is rolled up in there somewhere as often the things about which we have a purist viewpoint are from another time. I know mine sure are. Perhaps the word to use might be unadulterated, in the sense that we may be attempting to capture a time before sophistication came into play…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Community Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?