Remembrance-November 11

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Cynthia S
      CHAT CREW

Veterans Day. Remembrance Day.  It goes by many names round the world.  While Memorial Day is what most folks in the US commemorate, in the many countries formerly in the British Empire(also known as the Commonwealth Country, it is Remembrance Day that comes up this upcoming Monday. “In the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month” in 1918, the apocryphally named “ the War to End All Wars” was ended-not by surrender but by an Armistice.  Weary of four years of what was to that point in time the bloodiest and inhuman fighting the world had seen, the opposing sides agreed to end the bloodshed.

We pause this day every year-not to debate the geopolitical reasons the war occurred nor to rehash the aftermath that led twenty years later to the Second World War.  Instead, we set aside this day to honor all those who, in the words of Abraham Lincoln speaking of another war, “gave the last full measure of devotion” laying down their lives in place of their countrymen.  One doesn’t have to agree with either side of the conflict to acknowledge the terrible sacrifices that so many went through-whether dying themselves or having so many family and friends who did.

Some may wonder why we still have this day-after all it’s been over a century since “the Great War” ended.  After all few who were around back then are still alive today.  But as someone pointed out in an article I read about it, there are several reasons we somberly “commemorate” this day(it’s not truly correct to say we “celebrate” it).  First is that there is still today conflict in the world-and the threat of it flaring up into a global conflagration is still as real today as it was 100 years ago.  Secondly, it teaches today’s children how to empathize with the losses that other families go through-especially those with RECENT losses of loved ones.  The third is related to the first point- as the famous quote by Santayana says-“those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it”. By studying and understanding history, we have the best chance of avoiding the pratfalls and tragedies of the past.

So while this “holiday” was originally created to Remember a specific day in history, let us all pause to reflect on the sacrifices so many, many soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen (and their families) have made in all the wars (and peacetime and natural disasters). Say “thank you for your service” to those you encounter-I know I personally owe a debt of gratitude to both my own family members who served as well as the hundreds/thousands of our members here at Crossdresser Heaven and Transgender Heaven who also served or had family and friends who did.

In humble thanks,

Cyn

The sacrifices the families of those who have served are also on my mind as is the case with you and your family Cyn.  It’s always an honor to hear  how both your parents lived and served and how you and your siblings handled the rigors of moving throughout your childhoods.  My thanks for your families contribution in service to our country.

Cloe

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Community Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Login to Transgender Heaven

Forgot your details?