What happens to the marriage?

Tagged: , , ,

  • Creator
  • #14089
    Reuby Bell

    I have been a mtf ts since 1992. I live in California. My license was changed to female with a new female first name. Then, in 2011 I received a letter telling me that without SRS I had to revert back to the name and gender on my birth certificate. I tried to live female w/ a male ID, but it became problematic and I had to revert to living male, which I had no idea how to do. I just married my common-law wife of 18 years, which really brought my tendencies to the forefront. I wanted to be a bride! After finding out there was aqua way to get the female ID I began to prepare to become fem again and continue my journey. Now wife is concerned about the marital status. Does anyone know?

    3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • #32533

      Hi Reuby,

      Here in Minnesota I ran into some conflict with marriage law concerning my transitioned name. I requested my 9 year old marriage certificate to be changed to reflect my name. I changed it almost two years prior along with my gender. The judge allowed my last name change, took my partner’s, but refused to amend our marriage certificate. So now a dead man, or non existent, man is married to my partner. I called Lambda Legal but they weren’t able to resolve it. I would recommend you find a lawyer that specializes in gender issues. Best wishes to you and your wife as you battle this one!! I’d love to know how it goes for you two. Hugs!

    • #14173
      Miss Cloé

      Really good question and one I have not come across.  I can see a number of issues coming up if someone were to challenge for s marriage certificate, but honestly can’t recall that ever happening.  This may be a good one to engage an attorney in your state.  If you do some research I know we would love to hear about what you find.


      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #19567

        I finally hooked up with this state’s legal service and found out I can change my legal name and gender and it does not change our marital status. Our gender center is preparing documents for me to take to the court to have that done. If not sooner, I am hoping to have my identity reflect the true me.

        with love, Reuby Louise

        3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #14092

      Rueby…..hi sister. I am not sure about what this all means as I am single and stayed single. I know its is OK for sames sexes to marry in many States/Provinces and countries now. I assume that cross-dresses can do so and transgenders. In Canada your documentation can read male/female/other but you need verification from medical sources to do so. Then…things are cool. Check your local regulations for passport/drivers licenses and birth certificates. Don’t be afraid to ask them these questions….mostly, they don’t care.  Good luck, sweetie!

      Dame Veronica


      Dame Veronica Graunwolf

      1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2023 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa | Affiliate

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you don't see the captcha above please disable ad and tracking blockers and reload the page.