When Is It to Late to Start HRT

• Creator
    Topic
    Rebecca Allen
    Participant

I am 52 years old and I want to start HRT, but am I too old to see any effects? I am tired of the glue on breast forms, I am passable but would like to have better form and skin feel, I don’t think I will go thru SRS due to my age, wish I would have just gone with my heart back in my late 20’s but I listen to others around me they are all gone but I am still the person I was back then. I am a stronger woman now than I was back then because it was real for me.

any advice would be helpful

Thanks

Rebecca

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Emily Alt
      UNITY

I’ve lost count of the times I’ve seen this question asked in various forums. There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there regarding transition.

TLDR: Age isn’t a barrier to starting HRT. Your health could be. You’re never too old.

I’m 62 and in pretty good health. My endocrinologist is one of the best trans docs on the West Coast. I started HRT almost 3 months ago. I’m doing Estradiol Valerate (monotherapy) injections every 3.5 days. It works. At some point I’ll add Progesterone to increase breast fullness and size. I think a C cup is within reach even at my age.

My moodiness and clarity of thought started to improve after just a few days. Dysphoria and angst disappeared within a couple of weeks. Overall, my head is in a much better place.

I also noticed some breast tenderness and sensitivity after a few days. That’s come and gone since I started, but has become stronger and more persistent in the last 2 weeks. I have breast buds and can definitely see a bit of growth. Tanner 2. Not enough to be noticeable in public….yet.

When you get older it takes longer for estrogen to reverse the masculinizing effects of testosterone. Generally, changes will take longer and be less pronounced than someone that’s a lot younger, but there will be changes. And there are some stunning exceptions. I know of older girls that progressed rapidly and developed an impressive feminine appearance. Everyone is different. For those of us that aren’t satisfied with their results, there’s surgery.

I’ve never heard of anyone, regardless of age, where HRT did nothing.

I would offer that you have a talk with your doctor.

Emily

2 users thanked author for this post.

best bet is to talk your primary care provider… they will be able to discuss your options and possible effects.

if you are in good health, there is a good chance that you can start HRT… now, that being said… estrogen is much subtler than testosterone so effects can be limited… a recent study out of the EU showed that the average breast size only increased a few centimeters or so after a year on HRT (after correcting for the demographics of the study group).

Mikayla

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 Transgender Heaven | Privacy | Terms of Service | Contact Vanessa | Affiliate

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Transgender Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you don't see the captcha above please disable ad and tracking blockers and reload the page.